Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 1998 gp 1200 Warning W. temp *Newbie*

yesterday i bought a 98 gp 1200 for 2 grand it was great look good ran good n was a steal it had 212 hours on it but was rebuilt at about 150 hrs the owner said with the paperwork of course so i take it out yesterday im like hell yea this thing is great fast and what i was looking for in a ski..so im riding about 5 minutes into riding the warning light comes on n says -W. Temp so i shut it off wait about 5 minutes start it back up and go it was fine again and than the light went offf again for w. temp so i kept trying to ride it anyway and she didnt wanna go at all only when the light was on when the light was off it was great brought it in put it on the trailer pulled it out and the hull had an unusal amount of water in it but also it wasnt even hot. i was readin a couple threads and suggested to replace the sensor or by pass it only if you know if ur water passages arent clogged well they were spitting from the side n the back another was a thermostat does it have one and if were ...and a coupe threads abotu the cat n the exhuast and just plan old the sensor went bad so im looking for any information that could help for a quick fix when the warning light was on for the w. temp it still started and ran fine with the light on it jsut didnt want to go anywhere after shutting it off for 5 minutes and starting it it was fine intill another 5 minutes into it then the warning light came back on did this about three times before i brought it in any info or suggestions would be great And i cant wait to rip it UP on this ski cuz it was great for 5 minutes so i can imagine a good half an hour would be like Heaven lol thanks and all opinions and facts would be greatly appreciated thank you

+1
    Welcome to the Forum, I moved this thread to the old school section, you will find more help here.

There is a water temp sensor in the stinger pipe, make sure it is in the pipe, go to the how to section and download a service manual for the ski it has a test for the sensor.

thanks ill be sure to check out the how ot section and get the manual thanks

+1
    welcome to the forum

its not letting me down load any manuals my computer suxz the stinger pipe were is it located and wut does it do?and the sensor oviously senses the temp of the water thanks

+1
    Your exhaust pipe under your seat has a temp sensor in it.It is wired into your e,box.It should have some grease on it and 2 bolts hold it in to your exhaust pipe.
    How hot is the motor when it shuts down ?

Question

thanks i found it and know exactly what your talkin about and were its located... if its not running hot wuts a good idea on to bypass it if its the sensor or if the sensor is working and doing its job what causes could cause it to overheat after the warning for the water temp went off ,yesterday i pulled it in it was still running but lost power i guess it was a safety feature becasue it had the power than the light went on beeped and kinda held it back but when i did pull it out and see if it was hot it wasnt hot at all like it was good enough to put ur hand on it for a good 5 seconds before it became irratiable so it sounds like maybe a sensor but knowing the possiblities of the sensor doing its job correctly could there be and internal issues or just like little but not so serious and serious causes that would cause it to happen thanks im am greatly appreciated im really jsut anxious to get on the thing ride the crap out of it i cant wait but i dont wanan screw it up so let me know thnaks everybody!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Your exhaust pipe under your seat has a temp sensor in it.It is wired into your e,box.It should have some grease on it and 2 bolts hold it in to your exhaust pipe.
    How hot is the motor when it shuts down ?
    it wasnt really hot at all and it never shut down i shut it down cuz i didnt wanna screw anything up i was really nervous so like when the warning cam on and it said w temp it never stalled out or shut off it was still running !

+1
    You might want to go through everything to be sure your good.
    Get a compression tester and test comp.
    Verify that ski runs on 3 cylinders (check spark)
    Stock ski has 120 psi comp
    Every GP1200 needs regular carb inspections and rebuilds to maintain a good running ski that wont run lean and seize.
    Rebuild carbs Replace your fuel filters the externall one and the ones in the carbs (come in carb kits)
    If you have good comp rebuilt carbs and spark on all 3 cylinders you are almost there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information