sl650 water in cylinder

i searched but couldnt find anything specific to my problem.

i changed plugs in my sl650 yesterday because of not-so-great performance, i decided to crank the engine while the center plug was out to check wash and a nice spray of water was shooting out of the spark plug hole. i continued to crank it to see if i could get the rest of the water out, thinking maybe because water got in there somehow. but the water spray just kept coming after a minute of cranking.

one other thing- when i started the sl for the first time this season, i noticed some bubbles coming out from around the nuts on the center cylinder head. bubbles would mean air and water, not just water, so the head gasket could be pretty bad?

bad head or exhaust manifold gasket? probably head gasket seeming as the bubbles were coming from the top of the head... right?

another thing:

the cap which holds the fuel lines to the fuel tank is cracked, the actual screw part, not the center plastic that the lines go through. could this cause bad performance maybe because the pressure in the tank is non exhistant or do these tanks not usually keep positive pressure?

help is much appreciated!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You need to get the water out of the engine ASAP, and then spray fogging oil into the carbs to protect the crank case bearings from rust.

The service manual outlines the procedure for recovering from a flooded engine.

Where is the water coming from? Is the hull floating in the water, or on the trailer?

If your head gasket has failed, you will need to replace it. But first get the water out of the engine.

Once you get enough water out that you can start it, you can run it 'dry' on the trailer for about 20 seconds at a time. Then let it cool for a few minutes, then run it for another 20 seconds. The idea is to get some heat into the engine crank case, and drive the moisture out.

You can also rev the engine with a very quick burst of throttle, to help spin the water out. Do not over rev the engine, and watch that you don't over heat it.

Then run it one last time, and spray fogging oil down each carb. Don't drown it, just a good dose in each carb, then again, then shut it down.

ok, definately.

i dont own a trailer so the ski is ALWAYS in the water, except for winter.

i heard there is a crank case drain on the exhaust side?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by navx View Post
    ...I don't own a trailer so the ski is ALWAYS in the water, except for winter.

Iheard there is a crank case drain on the exhaust side?
    Those three crank case drains are very hard to get to, buried down under the exhaust pipe.

Can you pull it up on a beach, or use someone's trailer or lift, to get it out of the water? Working on an engine while the hull is in the water is no fun.

If you can stop the water from coming in to the engine, you can crank it enough to get the bulk of it out. Then running it will drive the rest of it out.

Be ready to recharge or replace your battery, because all this cranking will run it down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris Fuji engine crank case drain bolt - CEN.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	136171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris Fuji engine crank case drain bolt - MAG.JPG 
Views:	367 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	136172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris Fuji engine crank case drain bolt - PTO (serial number visible).JPG 
Views:	554 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	136173  

oh nice, thanks for the pictures.

believe me i know, lol. doing just plugs in the water was a fun time.

or, could i disconnect and clamp the water feed line from the pump?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by navx View Post
    ...could i disconnect and clamp the water feed line from the pump?
    Yes, just be sure you disconnect and clamp the right hose.

It comes from way down by the base of the jet pump, on the right side of the drive shaft (when looking forward from the rear of the ski).

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Yes, just be sure you disconnect and clamp the right hose.

It comes from way down by the base of the jet pump, on the right side of the drive shaft (when looking forward from the rear of the ski).

awesome, good info. thank you.

Thread Information