Arrow 2002 GTX OPAS issues?

All,

I just bought a 2002 SeaDoo GTX-4Tec to go along with my 2005 RXP. The problem is the ski is unstable at full throttle, and it does not seem to reach the top speed it should have. When I compare the OPAS paddles to the ones on my RXP they look like they stick down way to far. Reading the manual, these things are spring loaded, and they are supposed to raise as you get more speed. It feels to me like they are not doing that. Also it seems like when you are 45-50 the steering feels like it goes over center real easy, meaning if I try to run straight, it will allof a sudden go right, and needs a bit of left to correct. Also watching someone else run the ski, there is a ton of spray from the corners of the ski. This leads me to believe there is a issue with these things.
    The previous owner took it to the dealer the have a new impeller and wear ring installed, I am wondering if they put something on upside down?
    Does anyone know if these are supposed to look the same as the ones on the RXP?

Thanks

Cut a two pieces of 1" OD PVC pipe 2" long. The put a 1/4" slot lengthwise in each piece. Hold the OPAS paddle up and snap on the PVC. Do both sides. Take a ride and see if the helps. If it does, the OPAS screen, located in the 90 degree elbow on top of the jet pump may be blocked with crud from the last 8 years. So you can either clean the screen or leave the PVC pipes in place. BTW, IIRC the OPAS in the RXP does not move up & down like the GTX... Ron

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Also check #51 here:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=97&B=11

I have seen plenty of these break and cause very erratic steering.

But, I think KOF nailed it... you are describing classic "OPAS stuck downsyndrome".

Thanks

I know that #51 piece you are talking about, it is loose, but not broken, it seems like it could go in one of two ways, but is looks by the wear marks it is in the correct way.

I will try the PVC and let you guys know.

Thanks
    Koen

Yeah it's $.50 worth of PVC if you DIY as compared tp $20 if you buy it already made... Ron

Trying to get you post count up, huh? You might add some words (nouns and verbs) if you are trying to do that. If you need immediate medical assistance, post 911 a few times... Ron

You guys rock

Thanks,

Just made 2 pieces, put them in and fixed. 55MPH and 7350 RPM and stable.

Seems like that must be about right. It's no 70MPH RXP. but a nice ski for the wife.

I din't check the hose & filter, I figured a mechanical override is a better fix anyway.

Thanks again

I noticed my steering being hard after taking a river ride. I took my PVC off and the paddles are stuck up and feel like they have sand in them causing hard steering. How do you clean them out? Thanks.

Thread Information