Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Grey fuel lines bad?

Yes, I know the grey ones are bad. I wanted to fix them today or tomorrow. Please do not send me links to online stores. Where can I get the replacement hoses locally? When I bring the hose to Advance Auto parts they cannot cross reference it and say I need "special" hose for my FFI Genesis. That grey fuel hose is the same one on my X45 (non-FFI). Any thoughts on local stores? Any part numbers OR pics?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Replacement fuel line for Ficht fuel injected engines

As far as I know, the fuel line for Ficht injected engines is standard 1/4" fuel line.

The max fuel pressure is 30PSI, so any normal fuel hose should do. I would buy reinforced fuel line, if it is not much more expensive.

You do not need the very high pressure 'injected' fuel line that is sold for automotive fuel injection systems.

Note that the schrader valve tee fitting may actually be 5/16 diameter barbs, which may want to split the hose. Make sure those connections are not over stretched, and use good quality hose clamps through-out.

I would be interested to see the internal condition of the fuel lines you remove. I have not yet seen any confirmation that the gray Tempo fuel lines actually degrade or cause problems on the fuel injected engines.

+1
    Mine are rainbow green and have a slime in them. If I get this replaced, I will take pictures of them.

+1
    My Octane has the gray lines, and I looked for slime when I replumbed my primer today, all clear!

However, my 1/8" Tygon lines (the clear chemical kind) I used for my primer are already getting hard, which is somewhat discouraging.

Hey guys -

Plrs X45 and I are going to change ours out at the same time. I was just going to order up the line from fuellines.biz for all 4 boats. Will the 1/4 inch line be ok for his fuel injected Genesis? It'll be fine for my SLT 780 and our X45s - we're just not sure about the injected boat.

Also - I'm assuming 50 ft will be enough?

K447 - what tool do you need to install/remove those clamps?

Thanks in advance -

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerman2028 View Post
    ...Will the 1/4 inch line be ok for his fuel injected Genesis?

...I'm assuming 50 ft will be enough?

...what tool do you need to install/remove those clamps?...
    The fuel injected machines don't use a lot of fuel hose, but I have never measured how much hose is needed.

The factory Oetiker hose clamps are easily removed with a pair of sharp side cutters. Just cut the raised bump off, and the whole thing lets go.

Watch that the schrader valve tee in the fuel return line fits into your new hose properly. On some Ficht model years, if not all, the tees are 5/16 diameter hose barbs while everything else is the standard 1/4" hose size.

Bernie had the fuel hose in a brand new machine split right at the tee, and it was pumping fuel into the hull

The tool for installing the Oetiker hose clamps is not expensive, and the clamps aren't costly either. Order the hand tool and a bunch of the Oetiker Stepless ear clamps, and have a really professional looking result

The only downside to these clamps is that they are a one-time use.

Pages 7 and 8 in this Oetiker catalog tell you how to choose the size and part number to order, and page 24 shows the hand tools.

Unlike gear style hose clamps, the upside with the Oetiker clamps is that they don't work loose or leak, they don't cut into the hose like gear clamps do, and there is no sharp metal tab sticking out to cut your hands when you are working on other things.

Cheap gear clamps often don't apply even pressure all the way around the hose. Under the gear, there is often a small gap, which can leak.

Keep in mind on the carbureted machines that everything up to the fuel pump is under suction, not pressure. Any small leaks will allow air bubbles into the fuel feed to the engine, which can make the fuel delivery lean.

On the fuel injected engine, make sure the new fuel lines are protected from abrasion on the injector brackets. More info on that is here.

You can work more easily on the fuel injector hose segments if you remove the injector brackets from the injectors. The brackets hold the barb tees into the injectors. Just hold the injectors in place, lift the brackets off (don't loose the giant O-ring that is under the top of each bracket). Now hold the injector body, and you can wiggle the hose tees out of the injectors.

Polaris Genesis Fule line specs

Need to replace the gray lines on my Genesis - Not a Ficht. I do see on the existing lines that it shows 6mm which I know is = to 1/4. Is all of the fuel line this size or are there 2 different sizes for this model. Also how much line do I need to purchase? Thanks I have 2 Genesis 1999's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lhamiel View Post
    Need to replace the gray lines on my Genesis - Not a Ficht. ...I have 2 Genesis 1999's

I do see on the existing lines that it shows 6mm which I know is = to 1/4.

Is all of the fuel line this size or are there 2 different sizes for this model.

Also how much line do I need to purchase?
    All carburetor fuel line is 1/4 inch.

How much you need varies, but 25 feet would be plenty, per PWC. You might be able to get away with 20 feet, but it uses more than you think.

Be sure to use good quality fuel line clamps.

Oetiker clamps, or ear clamps, are the top notch method, and look professional.

Fuel line replacement

The outside diameter of the marine fuel line i can buy is about the size of a nickel which is much larger than what was factory installed Tempo line. Do you see this posing a problem when replacing or do you know somewhere I can purchase smaller diameter line.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    All carburetor fuel line is 1/4 inch.

How much you need varies, but 25 feet would be plenty, per PWC. You might be able to get away with 20 feet, but it uses more than you think.

Be sure to use good quality fuel line clamps.

Oetiker clamps, or ear clamps, are the top notch method, and look professional.
    I recently replaced fuel lines on a carburated 750 fuji, I started with 20ft. & had to order another 5ft. to complete job!
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information