This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

%&$#$%$#$ Ultra 150 pump won't come off

Ok, the ski was from florida, I shudda had a clue I was going to be in for a hard time..but I must have insulted the great lords of liquid wrench somewhere as this pump just isn't coming. Besides getting an eyeful of liquid wrench and buring thru two bottle of propane, I managed to get just one of the pump studs to start to unscrew by using my killer pair of out of production channel locks ( I call em the pit bull) on the lower pipe that the double ended stud passes thru

anyhow I've since pulled the ride plate ( good thing too, one of the hull inserts had turned into a rusty mush) and beaten on the pump housing with all manners of non destructive tools...is it time to get the die grinder out and call it a day?

This thing just refuses to come out of the pump shoe, and trust be, I've been on the end of a 8 foot bar getting a stuck prop off.

I'm about ready to really lose some money on this job and take the entire pump off the ski, shoe and all, but I'm not looking forward to that either.

as it is I'm going to have to replace the battle scarred parts.

Oh yeah..double and triple lock nutting the lower studs had no effect, they only started to turn after a gallon of lw and more heat then a nuke..the "pipe" as it's so proudly called on the fiche, must have more corroison on it then titanic...

please respond, even if it's to give me a "haha, buy a seadoo next time"

no doubt tomorrow I'll get in here and it will pop right off...

on the lighter side a good ski mechanic can....

1-thread a cable tie with one greasy hand while not being able to see anything in the hull
    2-not laugh out loud when somebody shows up with a rats nest of wires and fuel lines and asks "how much to fix this?"
    3-Avoid looking at a customers bikin clad surgically enhanced gf when he's debating the cost your top line batteries against a wal-mart special...

it's been one of those days here...and to boot we had rain this morning, the power went out in the middle of breakfast and my yard is a bit muddy.

Last edited by nmpeter; 06-10-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: i'm half blined by liquid wrench

+1

crap..I was kinda afraid of that

salt water welding at it's best, at least somebody else has been down the road, so now I'll try to come up with something a bit more clever-er.

Screwing the bottom pipes did put a helluva lot of pressure on the pump housing, but I think the most sane approach will just be pulling the etnire pump, then using a cut off wheel to sever the studs. So much for delivering this thing for the weekend.

bad news/good news..after I get this one done the sister ski is waiting for the same treatment, finding that rotten ride plate fastener may be where the sister is leaking water since it can't be seen, so I'll pull the ride plate first

better news..my truck has a 3000 pound winch on it.

thanks for the link...most helpful

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    salt water welding at it's best, at least somebody else has been down the road, so now I'll try to come up with something a bit more clever-er.

Screwing the bottom pipes did put a helluva lot of pressure on the pump housing, but I think the most sane approach will just be pulling the etnire pump, then using a cut off wheel to sever the studs. So much for delivering this thing for the weekend.

bad news/good news..after I get this one done the sister ski is waiting for the same treatment, finding that rotten ride plate fastener may be where the sister is leaking water since it can't be seen, so I'll pull the ride plate first

better news..my truck has a 3000 pound winch on it.

thanks for the link...most helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Ok, the ski was from florida, I shudda had a clue I was going to be in for a hard time..but I must have insulted the great lords of liquid wrench somewhere as this pump just isn't coming. Besides getting an eyeful of liquid wrench and buring thru two bottle of propane, I managed to get just one of the pump studs to start to unscrew by using my killer pair of out of production channel locks ( I call em the pit bull) on the lower pipe that the double ended stud passes thru

anyhow I've since pulled the ride plate ( good thing too, one of the hull inserts had turned into a rusty mush) and beaten on the pump housing with all manners of non destructive tools...is it time to get the die grinder out and call it a day?

This thing just refuses to come out of the pump shoe, and trust be, I've been on the end of a 8 foot bar getting a stuck prop off.

I'm about ready to really lose some money on this job and take the entire pump off the ski, shoe and all, but I'm not looking forward to that either.

as it is I'm going to have to replace the battle scarred parts.

Oh yeah..double and triple lock nutting the lower studs had no effect, they only started to turn after a gallon of lw and more heat then a nuke..the "pipe" as it's so proudly called on the fiche, must have more corroison on it then titanic...

please respond, even if it's to give me a "haha, buy a seadoo next time"

no doubt tomorrow I'll get in here and it will pop right off...

on the lighter side a good ski mechanic can....

1-thread a cable tie with one greasy hand while not being able to see anything in the hull
    2-not laugh out loud when somebody shows up with a rats nest of wires and fuel lines and asks "how much to fix this?"
    3-Avoid looking at a customers bikin clad surgically enhanced gf when he's debating the cost your top line batteries against a wal-mart special...

it's been one of those days here...and to boot we had rain this morning, the power went out in the middle of breakfast and my yard is a bit muddy.

i lol.... you're a funny guy... ive been down that road *except with a stupid kawi 550js pump and a head stud on a kawi 650 ts ... no advice on what to do with your ultra 150*

good luck and keep it up! you can do it... hell if i can get a stupid pump out of a kawi 550js that is soooo rusted the rideplate was gone (bolts rusted away and guy lost it on the water*! you can take that pump out

humor

heres something that might humor you... according to greenhulk you now have an ultra 130

thats until you actually click onto the thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	136237  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Strap it to a pole and pull up

Smile

good luck! you can do it!

+1

puller in production

it's being welded up as you read this...film at 11.

if the cost is reasonable, I'll let you know what they can be had for. Since I have two of these "puppies" in the shop right now, even if the puller costs too much for what it is, not having it is going to cost me lots more.

&*^&*^&*^*^salt water sucks

+1

Thumbs up badd-bing-badda-boom, they both are off now!

I had to go a little heavier duty then the puller design I was directed to on the other forum, and a few passes with the welder, but I now have an effective uber0-gizmo ultra-stuck-pump puller supreme-o.

Cost was pretty high considering my welder buddy is doing me an at cost favor on materials and time. Pics to follow, but the entire shebang cost me close to $75 in materials and welding. Well worth it however, as there was just no way to get these pumps off without it. NO way. Not really pricey considering what some special tools can cost but hey, I've already used it on two skis and it will look cool hanging on the tool rack.

"What's that for pete?"

"oh that?..I screw it onto my head when I feel like I'm about to beat myself to death with a ball peen hammer", now please step out to the other side of the orange tape and let me get some work done...

The northern tool hoist came in today and is mounted and tomorrow I can hook the chains up, lift the engine, extract the driveshaft and change the seals..and that ends this seasons ultra-extravaganza for now.

moral of the story..well two I can think of...

uh..don't buy a used ski from a salt water state unless you are into fight club style pain, Tyler

Double work estimates if the ski was used in salt water, people are always happy when things go well and you can charge them a lot less.

Thanks to everybody who offered help advice and jokes, my wife thanks you as well, as I come home in a better mood when things are inching forward.

Thread Information