Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best 4 Stroke Oil to Use

I know this may be a question without a real answer, but I'm changing oil in my ski's for the first time and want to make sure I do it right. I have an 07 ultra lx and an 08 250x. I've read that synthetic is bad for the 250x because of the supercharger. Not sure why. Owner's manual says the grade should be API SF or SG. Also API SH, SJ or SL WITH JASO MA. I went to autozone to look at oil because the thread on here that gives step by step insructions on how to change the oil says to go to an auto store and just buy 10W40. However, I could not find any automotive oil that had both the API and JASO standards. Automotive oil only had the API standards. The Castrol 4T motorcycle oil they had does meet both standards. It was $3.99 a quart. Would this be a good oil to use in both ski's? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oil is always a big debate. No problems using synthetic though, that I know of. Regular kawasaki oil is fine too. The premise behind synthetic is that it will not break down as easy and there fore costs more. I use Amsoil 10/40 Marine Synthetic just for peace of mind. Supposedly marine oils have special detergents for the marine environment. Dont know the truth behind that since I am not a scientist I figure in comparison to the cost of these skis, the cost of a good oil is not the primary concern. Just use what you like and change it often and it will be fine.

I've seen that oil mentioned several times on here. I went to the amsoil website and it was weird to not see kawasaki listed under the personal watercraft applications. Not sure why or even it even matters. Most all the other brands were listed. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/wcf.aspx

Amsoil 10/40 Marine....Part # WCFQT.....10.15$ a quart. Use only 4 qts and only stock Kawi filter. Number is 1-800-956-5695. Also, when u buy the stock filter spend 15$ and get the filter tool. Saves a lot of trouble. Trust me. Ive done 3 changes already.

Well i dont use any synthetic oil,use mineral oil only helps with the rings to bed in .
    Kawasaki tech guy told me not to use synthetic and also helps with blow by.
    So i use Yamaha 4stroke marine oil, developed for watercooled engines.
    No gio issues.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    A Good dino oil that meets or exceeds Kawi requirements

Change every 15hrs and filter as per manual intervals and all will be good

Waz

Quote Originally Posted by Spin21 View Post
    Amsoil 10/40 Marine....Part # WCFQT.....10.15$ a quart. Use only 4 qts and only stock Kawi filter. Number is 1-800-956-5695. Also, when u buy the stock filter spend 15$ and get the filter tool. Saves a lot of trouble. Trust me. Ive done 3 changes already.
    +1

Banned User
    kawo OEM 10/40 is based on motul. its the best oil for all kawi 4stroke.

you can use ams oil, castrol, no name marine oil and other crap on market but OEM is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
    I know this may be a question without a real answer, but I'm changing oil in my ski's for the first time and want to make sure I do it right. I have an 07 ultra lx and an 08 250x. I've read that synthetic is bad for the 250x because of the supercharger. Not sure why. Owner's manual says the grade should be API SF or SG. Also API SH, SJ or SL WITH JASO MA. I went to autozone to look at oil because the thread on here that gives step by step insructions on how to change the oil says to go to an auto store and just buy 10W40. However, I could not find any automotive oil that had both the API and JASO standards. Automotive oil only had the API standards. The Castrol 4T motorcycle oil they had does meet both standards. It was $3.99 a quart. Would this be a good oil to use in both ski's? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I use Motul 5100 10-40 technosynthese. That should do...?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
    I use Motul 5100 10-40 technosynthese. That should do...?

Yes if it meets the Kawi specs you are fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information