General GP1200R rebuild questions

Well here goes my first post...

2002 GP1200 owner with typical Yamaha oil line pulled of the carb problem and ruined the #3 cylinder (30 psi compression). This is a stock ski with 140 hours that ran great right up to the point that it failed. 60 plus mph even in chop. So I donít want to mod the set-up in any way.

I also have a 2005 XLT1200 that I want to head off the same problem before it happens.

I've got the GP all torn down and getting ready to remove the damaged engine, after considering all the options I've decided to replace with an SBT rebuilt. I'm also going to replace all of the carb plastic ties with the McMaster-Carr tube clamps however I also need to replace all of the oil and gas lines as some have become blistered and on the verge of failing. Has anyone got a recommendation on the types and sizes for these?

Also has anyone got any good tips for getting to those almost impossible to reach bolts, especially the one on the back side of the exhaust pipe just above the manifold?

Any other helpful tip would be appreciated.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jet-nut View Post

Also has anyone got any good tips for getting to those almost impossible to reach bolts, especially the one on the back side of the exhaust pipe just above the manifold?

I used a swivel attachment to get to the bolt on the back of the manifold
    might want to go to premix.... i did it this year, not bad... also, it its just the cyl and piston, probably get one here reasonable vs buying an inferior sbt motor...

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by jet-nut View Post

2002 GP1200 owner with typical Yamaha oil line pulled of the carb problem and ruined the #3 cylinder (30 psi compression). This is a stock ski with 140 hours that ran great right up to the point that it failed. 60 plus mph even in chop. So I don’t want to mod the set-up in any way.

I also have a 2005 XLT1200 that I want to head off the same problem before it happens.

I've got the GP all torn down and getting ready to remove the damaged engine, after considering all the options I've decided to replace with an SBT rebuilt. I'm also going to replace all of the carb plastic ties with the McMaster-Carr tube clamps however I also need to replace all of the oil and gas lines as some have become blistered and on the verge of failing. Has anyone got a recommendation on the types and sizes for these?

You may want to investigate other replacement options as not everything i hear about SBT motors is good.

perhaps talk to some of the builders on here like duke, wfo, ben herman as they might be able to do you a much better deal than SBT can.

always shop around, just my 2 cents

ps: you need those extra long sockets to get those exhaust bolts out

+1
    I am on my second one right now, don't do the SBT its cheaper and better to rebuild the motor yourself. I used a swivel socket as well for that bolt. I got all three pistons, complete gasket kit, crank, all three carb rebuild kits for $1200. You just need some locktite and some 1311 (?) permatex sealant for the cases and you are good to go. Its really not much more work once you get the motor out. Got my crank from WFOperformance on here. If you get stuck on something post up on here we can tell you what to do.

Thanks guys

Thanks guys for the input, the only things about SBT are the 1 year no fault warranty. That does give me a small measure of comfort. I know that I would still have to take it out and pay for shipping, but isn't that better than going thought this again if another disaster happens within 12 months? The SBT motor cost is about $1,200 wouldn't I spend that rebuilding it myself?

And yep I've seen the post about SBT motors being crap and that they rebuild using inferior parts, and I've seen others that say it's the only way to.

How do I go about find people on the forum that sell or rebuild engines? And can I get that warranty for others?

And another question come to mind as well, since the #3 cylinder was not getting any oil for god only know how long, isnít there a really good chance that crank bearing, connecting rod and wrist pin bearing would be suspect.

Oh and by the way the number 2 cylinder has had it as well, the pv clip is loose looks like itís shaved the piston some

Moderated
    i listed 3 well know, well respected builders on this board in my post above, these guys build ski's full time for a living so getting warranty on build should not be a problem.

i rebuilt my 2002 gpr myself with some help from a friend who is a marine mechanic ( he helped with the top end fitment and fuel supply) but i did the rest, hull, and all with mik72e and a few others also lent a hand.

its really not that hard and its a great feeling when its all done and started up for the first time

to be honest i have never heard anyone say SBT was the way to go, thats why i warned you about them. Not trying to be a killjoy , just relaying what i have read and been told.

+1

exhaust

I know its been awhile for this thread but thought I'd add .02.I used a wooden wedge to just bow the side off enough to get the swivel socket in.

Thread Information