Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help! FX HO dumped us in lake!

We bought an 06 FX HO in the late fall, Practically new, under warranty. Put it in, didin;t think it steered well. We had been riding our son';s VX110 for 2 years extensively. Took to Yamaha dealer, they replaced steering cable. We put in to try. We were turning slowly not much beyond idle and the machine leaned to the right, didn;t stop leaning and dumped us into a cold, cold lake fully clothed with no other boaters. We discovered there was water in it, dealer had forgotten a clamp.
    thought that had caused it. They put hose and clamp back on. we thought no more of it.
    Got it in the water this week. Yesterday we were idling watching someone on the shore. We turned to go back at about 2mph it leaned to the left and went on over. Tossed off again. Much warmer this time. No water in it this time. We bought this because it was so large and sturdy. I am afraid there is something really wrong.
    I am a very cautious grandmother but i loved riding the Vx110 so much although slowing and carefully. My son moved out of state so I bought this. Any ideas.

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    Welcome to the Green Hulk!!

if you were idling and turning sharp it will dump you on any craft.

more people on = more top heavy

i did it myself on my GPR when i wasn't paying attention... much less 'sturdy' than your fx ho because of its size.

I don't think there is anything wrong. thats just my opinion.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Many PWC are not terribly stable at low speeds, especially when tuning sharply.

The normal riding approach is to use the throttle judiciously and steering control to stabilize the machine while turning.

When you apply power, not only does the jet pump provide forward force, it also is sucking water in from under the hull. That helps pull the machine down into the water, which increases the stability.

You can confirm this yourself. While riding slowly, turn and feel the machine start to lean. Now straighten the steering, and squeeze the power a little. The hull should snap upright, even if you are right on the edge of falling completely over. The more power you apply, the stronger the stabilizing effect, if you are also steering correctly.

This is part of why it is called riding a PWC. You are an active part of the riding equation. Your body weight, and that of your passengers, has a real effect on how it handles, leans, and balances.

Always expect to get wet when riding a PWC. Even if you don't fall off, you should still be prepared for it to happen.

Many of us have fallen off while doing nothing in particular, other than not paying attention to the machine's balance, or our own. It's part of the learning curve.

Perhaps you can find some other Green Hulk members in your area. You can learn from the more experienced riders, and enjoy connecting with others who share the enjoyment of PWC riding.

I've been dumped a couple of times on my ski while turning at slow speeds also. It's nothing to be alarmed about. When you're out on the water at low speeds, just make sure to lean good into the turns to counteract the tilting forces on the ski.

Help 'FX HO

Thanks to all of you. So we should give it some juice and lean into the turn. I am a little afraid to lean into the turn after recent esperiences. I don;t like to swim until July. I wonder why we never had this happen on our many rides on my son's VX. We often were in small coves and turned I am sure at very low speed. ( do you think this idles faster so we don't have to use throttle to turn?) I think his moved at idle.

My husband is convinced something is wrong. He wants to take to dealer. they will keep a week and a half and I wonder if they will do anything, It runs well. It is under an extended Yamaha warranty, They supposedly repaced the steering cable before when we thought it leaned a bit (before the first time it fell over!).

I want to listen to what others riders have to say and figure this out first.

Just want to ride.
    +1

Nozzle Angle

I agree with the others that you should be a little prepared for the ski to lean/tip if you are idling around and turning the bars full in either direction.....

However, I'd add a couple of things. If you start to tip one way, lean the other, as you straighten the bars and add a little throttle. You don't have to gun it, just shift your bottom and turn the bars the other way, then a blip to get you moving straight again.

2nd thought. IF your hubby wins out, and it goes back to the shop for a looksee, have them check the cable adjustment on the nozzle. There's a small chance it's off one way or the other a little bit, allowing the ski to turn further one direction than the other, and that MIGHT put the hull in a bit more of an off balance position....

Just my .02

Good luck!
    Sean

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    i would never take my ski back to a dealer. most are not trust worthy and even though they are 'certified' doesn't meant they do a good job, or are in your best interest...they are a business after all!

i have had very bad experiences with my local yami dealer. Just my opinion.

Keep the ski and watch your balance. think of it as a motorocycle. the faster you go the more balanced it becomes, leaning into the corners helps you balance even and idle speed. if you feel it starting to tip give it the throttle and it will come back.

Let me guess... you were turning to the left and you tipped over to the right?

reminds me of my first day of riding my gpr, completely rolled it upside down... so much fun, knew it was operator error.

follow what has been said and remember that you are an interactive part of that machine that youre riding.

My ski hasnt seen a dealer since 06. I was ripped off by my dealer from the day I ordered my ski, even being threatened court if I backed out of the deal to rip me off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IowanGPR View Post
    i would never take my ski back to a dealer. most are not trust worthy and even though they are 'certified' doesn't meant they do a good job, or are in your best interest...they are a business after all!

i have had very bad experiences with my local yami dealer. Just my opinion.

Keep the ski and watch your balance. think of it as a motorocycle. the faster you go the more balanced it becomes, leaning into the corners helps you balance even and idle speed. if you feel it starting to tip give it the throttle and it will come back.

Let me guess... you were turning to the left and you tipped over to the right?
    Having a warranty and not taking your ski to the dealer is just throwing your money away. I have a 5 year warranty so I will take it there if anything happens. Its in the dealers best interest to fix the ski right the first time, otherwise I would just return it over and over again untill the issue is fixed.
    Try the techniques the others have talked about and if its still an issue take it back to the dealer, have them ride it out on the water themselves. I dont know about others, but if I have a 5 year warranty I expect not to worry about my ski for the 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by HAZE View Post
    Having a warranty and not taking your ski to the dealer is just throwing your money away. I have a 5 year warranty so I will take it there if anything happens. Its in the dealers best interest to fix the ski right the first time, otherwise I would just return it over and over again untill the issue is fixed.
    Actually it is not in the best interest. The dealer is an independant agency of its manufacturer. The dealer is paid for everything. If it doesnt fix your ski right the first time, it just continues to charge the manufacturer for things to make money. The dealer makes their money on you over and over again, everytime you come in with a warranty repair, they charge yamaha for it, if it is a repeat problem, they continue to get paid over and over again.

And I have the 4 year YES warranty and all you need to show is proof that your routine maintenance is done. You cna use a private shop, or do it yourself and show receipts. You do not have to take it to your dealership to continue your warranty.

At least thats what I was told at Motion Enterprises when I bought my ski.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information