Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar

Angry My Buddy was almost killed today!

Today we when ridding on the same lake that we ride on all the time. The guys I was ridding with are the same guys. NO ROOKIES HERE, we ride almost every weekend together: Shannon, Doug, Jake, and I.
    Jake and I broke a way from shannon and Doug, and was screwing around In front of the photogragher, we had stopped and where talking when we seen Shannon seem to dive over back wards off his ski. Then we seen a kid floating in the water and a speed boat with two tubes behind it(one empty) turning around.
    First thought was Shannon had hit the tube and was swimming in to help.
    WRONG!
    The speed boat was sitting still, as Shannon and Doug where going by, the speed boat never seen the skis and gunned it pulling right out in front of the guys. They where doing about 40mpr, Shannon was CAUGHT BY THE ROPE. Right across the neck. YA no shit. It tore him off the ski. Some words where thrown around, but thank GOD every one was ok. WE WHERE NOT DRINKING, The speed boaters were. It could have been horrifying. The Kid or shannon could have been killed. Please be careful. I’m just happy that no one was hurt REALLY HURT.

I will post some pics later

Its good to here no one was hurt!

Im glad no one was hurt

I have worried about this same thing for years but I have never seen it happen. Jet skiers are always criticized for being dangerous but the boaters pulling tubs are ones to watch in my opinion. Many times they are looking the wrong way while driving the boat. Glad no one was hurt....

+1
    glad you guys are ok Tony. That could have been real bad. What did the guys in the boat have to say about it?

I'd be talkin with my fist if able.....after an ordeal like that. Idiots.....Everywhere.

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    It was an older guy 50+ and a bunch of kids. They didn't have much to say, I was loosing my cool(like my normal hot headed ass) and shannon just wanted to get to shore and smoke.
    It could happen to any one. the one thing I can say: Shannon and Doug seem to ride 150ft from other boats. I make a point to steer as clear as possible. The Law in mich is 100ft. when I go out with a rookie I teach a 100yrds. I do this for a reason.
    Any way It RUINED A GREAT DAY.
    soon as we got to shore I told the gal taking pics" Hey take a pic of Shannon while he is STILL PISSY" that cheered him up!
    Wait until you see the pic John It looks like he was HUNG!

praise God everyone is OK

holy ship!
    your friend is lucky his neck didnt get broken.
    In the US do you guys get breath tested for alcohol on the water? Over here in OZ we can get done for drink driving same as a car.05 Dudes in that boat would be in major shit over here.

+1
    i remember reading on riva about some one dying from hiting an anchor rope
    just shows how lucky he was
    the trouble is so many boaties don't follow the rules (including pwc'ers)
    we had a new licence holder riding with us the other weekend ,and she asked us which side am i ment to pass other boats(coming towards us) as they seem to come from both sides
    we had to explain that yes we are ment to pass on left but most boats go where they want so we just keep out of there way

kev

+1
    Say a prayer and thank god.

I am glad it was not worse. I had a similar situation happen on the 4th of July on 1994. since then I will not ever go on the water on a holiday.

I am gald your buddy was not hurt. Its sad how people will let alcohol dissolve their thinking caps.

as a reminder for everyone !
    http://www.greenhulk.net/yama/showthread.php?t=898

There is no VooDoo like BadVooDoo NeVerMind's Avatar
    Great Lakes...

I don't know if they are as bad around you as they are in my neck of the woods, but the Coasties LOVE to harass jetskis. You should have called the CG on them for the drinking alone. And told them you were a RESPONSIBLE JETSKI OPERATOR.

I am a boater and Jetskier... Yes I do see idiot jetski manuvers each weekend I am out on the water (this weekend there was a guy on a standup zipping in, out and around of all the boats anchored on the beach), but I see more carless, drunken and stupid things go on in boats. It's as being in a boat give you a license to be an idiot.

As always, the skis get the bad rap.

I carry a dry bag with my cell phone... I would have made the call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information