Thread: confused...SC

confused...SC

Ok let me get this straight!

The friction plain bearing on either side of the driven gear on the SC are to be replaced from ceramic to a Steel type

And the shaft ball bearing are ceramic and are replaced with ceramic after the rebuild, or Steel. If ceramic then do these ball bearing cause a problem also or just the ceramic friction washer type bearing on either side of the gear?

I currently have a rebuild kit with the steel friction bearings for the gear, will my ball bearing for the shaft be ceramic or steel?

What year rebuild kit is it? IIRC, it's the '08 and later kits that come with steel washers and bearings. If it's an older kit (like from eBay or just old stock at a dealer) then it certainly may have ceramic washers and steel bearings. In that case, you would need to know the year of the kit. Anyone know if the dealers sent all the old rebuild kits back to BRP when the new kits came out?... Ron

+1
    I would not run ceramic bearings. Stick with the steels.

So are we saying there are ceramic ball bearings in the kits and these along with the ceramic friction washers are no good? I know my kit has steel friction washers, just not sure about the ceramic ball bearings.

So what are ceramic, the balls and or the races?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    So are we saying there are ceramic ball bearings in the kits and these along with the ceramic friction washers are no good? I know my kit has steel friction washers, just not sure about the ceramic ball bearings.

So what are ceramic, the balls and or the races?
    If you got the 08 kit it has steel washers and steel bearings. If you got an older kit it has ceramic washers (junk) and metal bearings. All of the OE kits have metal bearings.
    If you were to purchase ceramic bearings (I would not), It is the balls that are ceramic.

are the ceramic washers white in color and the steel are silver in color, how can you identify, I'm not sure if my SC had been upgraded or not. Also I know my kit was sold to me as metal friction washers, so is it OK to assume the ball bearings are steel?

+1
    If it is a factory 08 kit it will have gold metal washers. If it is a factory kit and does not have gold washers they are ceramic. The ceramics are a greyish color. Some people upgrade there ceramic washers wih riva metals wich are silver in color.
    All of the kits have steel bearings.

Thread Information