Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newby here with MFD issues... read forum front to back

Hello all, I have a 96 SLX 780 recently acquired. I am no mechanic or elec. technicial but somewhat resourceful.

History:
    Battery cables reversed briefly then corrected, not attempted to start.
    Ski had no battery cover and test ran while elec. box directly on top of battery.
    Ski shut off and no power.
    Found short in 30 amp fuse in visible wiring harness, replaced fuse.
    Found blown fuse in elec. box...It was 4 amp not 1/4! Replaced with 1/4 amp fast acting.
    No visible moisture or contact issues in elec. box
    Used meter to check plug for MFD. Ground to black pin and red to check all others. Only the tan pin showed power all others nothing.
    Battery now covered and no contact with elec. box.
    New battery, Ski runs well but MFD remains dead.
    I am hoping someone could give advice on how best to check that power is getting to MFD and any diagnostic help before trying to find another MFD. Thanks

+1
    Sounds like you got a nice burst of current there when the battery was reversed and there was A 4 AMP FUSE IN! That might have fried you MFD. In the mean time take off the foam around the handlebars to access the back of the MFD. Unplug the harness from the back of the MFD, wait 15 seconds then plug back in. (This is the hard reset for the MFD) If the battery sits out of the ski for too long the MFD will shut off and need to be reset this way. It happened on my 96 SLX. Post back and let us know whats up. If that doesnt work I am sure someone can tell you what wires you need to trace.
    Viper

thanks AT Viper

After reading all the forums, I did try to reset the MFD by disconecting the plug, I was hoping it would resolve but no success.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by covy View Post
    Hello all, I have a 96 SLX 780 recently acquired.
    ...Battery cables reversed briefly then corrected
    ...Found short in 30 amp fuse in visible wiring harness, replaced fuse.
    Found blown fuse in elec. box...It was 4 amp not 1/4! Replaced with 1/4 amp fast acting.

...used meter to check plug for MFD. Ground to black pin and red to check all others. Only the tan pin showed power all others nothing.

...Ski runs well but MFD remains dead...
    Welcome to the Hulk

What 30 Amp fuse?
    There is a 3 Amp fuse for the bilge pump.

The Red/Purple wire is the power to the MFD. Check that wire more carefully. Disconnect the battery negative. Now use ohms mode to confirm that you have near zero ohms between the Red/Purple pin of the MFD connector, and the fuse holder, and all the way to the battery positive.

Sorry K447 and AT Viper, Finally able to reply on mfd for 96 slx

Sorry it has taken so long to get back, you know, work, family vacation... I have ran a test and have continuity b/w red/purple wire at mfd plug and fuse, and from red/purple wire to battery terminal. I have notinced that when I plug the mfd in I get no response and the fuse continually blows. Again, the fuse that I pulled out was a 4 amp fuse. I suspect the mfd is bad unless there are other options to check. Any help would be appreciated.

+1
    Sorry it has taken so long to get back, you know, work, family vacation... I have ran a test and have continuity b/w red/purple wire at mfd plug and fuse, and from red/purple wire to battery terminal. I have noticed that when I plug the MFD in I get no response and the fuse continually blows.

Again, the fuse that I pulled out was a 4 amp fuse.

I suspect the MFD is bad unless there are other options to check. Any help would be appreciated.
    Sounds like the MFD internally shorted when the battery polarity was reversed.

Time to shop for another MFD

If you are willing to send it to me, I will have a look-see. But I rather doubt it will come back to life.

I have another MFD here that was also shorted (also suffered from a reversed battery, I suspect), and after fixing the short, it remains quite dead.

I am mostly curious to learn how these are failing internally.
    Last edited by K447; 07-02-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks for reply, I too think it may be fried. Funny how it worked after correctly positioning the bat. cables and then went out while test riding. anyway, I am contemplating cutting it open to investigate while looking for another. If I come up short on finding anything wrong... which will most likely be the case... I may send it your way. Will keep you posted and I appreciate the offer. If you hear of any used MFDs please keep me in mind.

Thanks

+1
    ...If you hear of any used MFDs please keep me in mind...
    Working MFD are a hot commodity, especially during riding season.

If you see one for sale, you will need to act fast, or it will be gone.

I saw one for $350.00. A bit steep but in a world of such demand it will sell. Quick question... I am at the point of realization that this ski was given to me and I mostly use my malibu vlx. Should I just install oil pump shut off, mix the gas/oil and call it a day or is there a significantly greater need for the mfd? Any comment or advice?

+1
    ...Should I just install oil pump shut off, mix the gas/oil and call it a day or is there a significantly greater need for the MFD?
    Any comment or advice?
    No need to remove the oil pump, even if the MFD doesn't work.

Just top up the oil tank each time you buy fuel, and you will never run low on oil.

No need to mess around with pre-mixing, just add some oil to the tank, fuel up, and don't worry about it.

The oil is consumed at a fraction of the rate it burns gasoline, and a full oil tank will last through several tanks of fuel. So even if you forget to top up the oil from time to time, it still isn't a problem.

Put a label beside the gas filler - ADD OIL TO OIL TANK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information