99 XPL Wont Charge

Just picked up a 99 XPL yesterday, for $1400 with trailer btw. Anyhow it runs fine but you have to jump start it cuz the battery(new) is not charging. In what order should I start checking things out. I don't want to start just throwing parts at it. Thanks

First of all stop jump starting it you will kill your MPEM if it isnt already they dont like that at all. It has a sticker right on the hull. You need to disconnect the battery to charge it with anything except a trickle charger.

Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    First of all stop jump starting it you will kill your MPEM if it isnt already they dont like that at all. It has a sticker right on the hull. You need to disconnect the battery to charge it with anything except a trickle charger.
    i charge mine at 6 amps and never had a problem for 2 yrs now, if it doesnt charge you probably need a new stator jumpstarting i hear will kill the charging system

Are there any fuses I can check?

Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    i charge mine at 6 amps and never had a problem for 2 yrs now, if it doesnt charge you probably need a new stator jumpstarting i hear will kill the charging system
    I guess Seadoo should just fire all those engineers that think 2 amp limit on charging is a good thing. Because you have gotten away with it all this time. Try checking the output of the stator or resistance if its ok replace the Regulator. But first verify the guy that sold it to you was right. Charge the battery and and with the engine running (the charger disconnected) the battery should read 13-14 volts DC.

Yes there are some fuses in the Electrical box 15 or 20 amps

+1
    15amp (blue) on the mpem and another in the front box. If either is blown replace and test.

FYI. Never jump start a Sea Doo. This goes double for one where the rectifier is built into the rather expensive MPEM. Jump starting can kill the charging system, the MPEM, guages, the neighbor's dog, you name it.

Never charge over 2amps. I do not care who says they do it all the time. If you do, you will pay the price some day. I pull the negative cable and then charge at 2amps. Just think ahead and a 2amp rate is more than fast enough.

My buddy bought his GSXL cheap with the same problem for him it was a stator, but he got it cheap fixed it and has been happy with it ever since. Check the two fuses mentioned above and I think if you search the older ones you could unplug something to check your stator

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    15amp (blue) on the mpem and another in the front box. If either is blown replace and test.

FYI. Never jump start a Sea Doo. This goes double for one where the rectifier is built into the rather expensive MPEM. Jump starting can kill the charging system, the MPEM, guages, the neighbor's dog, you name it.

Never charge over 2amps. I do not care who says they do it all the time. If you do, you will pay the price some day. I pull the negative cable and then charge at 2amps. Just think ahead and a 2amp rate is more than fast enough.
    +1

So two weelends ago I took the new battery out of my Waveblaster and trickle charged it all day. Put it in the XP and it started that dam thing all day. Impressed as I was was with this super battery I put a meter on it and low and behold 13.8 volts. So the $600 I got the kid to knock off the price cuz the charging system was f'd turned out to be a bad battery. Thanks for your help guys.

Thread Information