Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gp1200r power valves

hello my name is marco and a have just purchased a 2000 model gp1200r my question is in concern of the power valves i have read in the manual that once the ski is turned off that the pv are meant to cycle (cleaning cycle if im correct) mine dont move at all the strange thing is if i manually turn them a bit and then re attach lynard i can hear and see pv re adjusting to where it was before, the ski is all stock standard even the impellor is standard and i have achieved a top speed of 104 kilometers/hr = 64.5miles/hr (with gps) which i have read is good for a non modified 1200r i also find that when ski hits 5000rpm it wants to rip my arms off and takes of like a rocket is this normal, the ski has 164 hrs on it and had a full rebuild 20 hrs ago the carbs where done as well also new impellor and shaft and all pump seals where replaced thanks and looking forward to youre replys

+1
    yes probably need to be cleaned, if you take the seat up and let it warm up you can hit the gas hard and see them move. If the dont remove and clean. and then see if your pv servo motor works, might need adjusting also.

well i disconnected the servo cables then fired up the ski then quickly turned it off ,the cables only moved 2ml each way is that a sign that the servo motor is fryed i also took the pv covers off they are all pretty clean and move very freely with no gunk build up just a light oily coating on them plus all the pins are in place(thank god) its gotta be the servo motor has crapped out or the ecu is playing up ,am i able to still use the ski while a replacment servo motor arrives i will keep the cables disconnected.

does anyone know whether the pro tec power valve controller work on a totally stock engine or is it only designed for modded engines also that i live in australia we dont have the cat converter installed nor do we have the sensor. already has d plate installed.

Quote Originally Posted by gloomis View Post
    well i disconnected the servo cables then fired up the ski then quickly turned it off ,the cables only moved 2ml each way is that a sign that the servo motor is fryed i also took the pv covers off they are all pretty clean and move very freely with no gunk build up just a light oily coating on them plus all the pins are in place(thank god) its gotta be the servo motor has crapped out or the ecu is playing up ,am i able to still use the ski while a replacment servo motor arrives i will keep the cables disconnected.
    With the servo cables disconnected & it only moves 2mm the servo is more than likely your issue, Look in the service manual under electrical system YVPS servomotor to see how to test it.
    If you are going to ride it while waiting for a replacement servo motor pin the powervales in the open position.
    You can get a service manual here.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9546

does anyone know whether the pro tec power valve controller work on a totally stock engine or is it only designed for modded engines also that i live in australia we dont have the cat converter installed nor do we have the sensor. already has d plate installed.
    The protec power valve controller will work on a stock ski, all it does is stop the powervalves from closing when the rev limiter is hit(stock cdi closes the valves when hitting rev limiter)
    I would not worry about it unless you ride in rough water & are hitting the limiter all the time.

thank you kham383 for youre replys .what will happen hitting the rev limiter while riding ski in rough water will it cause engine damage or just power loss etc

thank you kham383 for youre replys .what will happen hitting the rev limiter while riding ski in rough water will it cause engine damage or just power loss etc
    It won't cause engine damage, just loss of power making it a even rougher ride. When the ski becomes unhooked out of the water the engine will rev higher sometimes hitting the rev limiter, when the ski enters the water again because of the power loss the ski will fall flat on the nose until rpm's are regained.
    Where in Oz are you.

i live in wollongong in nsw its about 1hr drive south of sydney i searched the net and found somone who was selling same spare parts for gp1200r he was a proffesional jetski racer and was given lots of parts from yamaha so i picked up a new powervalve controller for $190 plus i thought i would purchase the electric box he had for sale as well for $180 to buy these parts from yamaha the servo controller is worth $800 and the electric box is worth $1450 bloody rip off in my opinion

i have recieved new pv controller today i have the manual but i am still unsure whether the pv are meant to be in the closed or open position when when installing cables to the round drum any other tips i may need to know

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information