Just want to ride.
    +1

Electrical Issue?

Hello all,

We rode yesterday and my wife's ski (03 1300r) started acting strange - I was hoping for some advice from the crew here -

Intermittently, the ski's display would beep 2 times, like it does when you hit the start button, then the display would clear/reset, then go right back to normal. This would happen at all different speeds, smooth or rough water, and would sometimes happen 10x in a minute, or not at all for 5 minutes. The ski never stopped running, started immediately every time it was shut off, and never even hiccuped when it was running, either at idle, or top speed.

I checked the battery terminals at home afterward, and they were both snug; could this be a bad battery cell? I'm hoping it's the battery - but, I wonder if the start/stop switch could be shorting? The ski acts like it's being started, repeatedly, and that seems like a likely culprit?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

+1
    Not really clear what its doing. Does anything flash on the display? Any codes stored ? Definately start with the basics. Check all wiring and connections. Put a volt meter on battery, then start and note voltage difference.

Just want to ride.
    +1
    When you're riding along, the warning beep sounds 2 times quickly exactly like you're pushing the start button (not the loud warning you get if you're low on oil, etc). Then the ENTIRE display goes clear, everything lights up (just like when you're starting the ski), and then the display goes back to normal, showing current RPM, speed, Fuel, etc.

It literally looks like the ski is OFF, then you're pushing the start button, and the ski is starting up - only the ski is running (well, I might add). Nothing seems to happen to the motor (ski keeps running normally); it happens at idle, part, and wide open throttle.

Hope that explains it better!

+1
    Got it. Sounds like the cluster is may be going out. Run the boat on the hose. Try the wiggle test of the harness and connectors under the hood and see if you can establish a pattern.

+1
    Don't say that. I'm starting to run into almost the same problem. It demonstrated all of those symptoms

One major difference is that the last time I was out, I cranked the boat up to blow out the water while it was on the trailer before going home, and when I pulled the lanyard, the starter engaged, trying to restart the boat ... even though the lanyard was pulled!!!

I had to disconnect the battery to shut the starter down.

Just want to ride.
    +1
    Softy, have you done any exploration into this yet? I bought a new battery today, and hope that 'cures' my problem. I have a funny feeling that isn't it, though. I'm wondering if there's a short in the on/off switch? I don't understand how the system works on the ski, so I don't understand if the gauge cluster is in charge, or the buttons, or the CDI box, or ?

I'll probably start with the switch, and go from there.

Thread Information