08 250X

New member - 08 250X

I just picked up a beautiful 2008 Ultra 250X last night. I live in Jacksonville and will be taking it out Saturday for the maiden voyage.

Just thought I would introduce myself, some forums I am a member of like you to do an intro before you start asking a bunch of questions. So here goes.

New to the PWC world, owned several motorcycles and boats, so this was just a natural progression. I didn't want to buy an intro level ski and then want a bigger faster ski within a month. This ski was last years model and they discounted it fairly nicely to make it attractive, so I bit.

Now for the questions.

What is the deal with water in the oil on the 250X? Do I need to call them up and make sure they performed some maintenance to prevent this? Was there a recall or Technical Service Bulletin issued on this problem? Is there really a problem? Do they issue TSBs on skis like they do on bikes and cars?

Extended warranty? What are your opinions on these? I have until the 1 year warranty is out to purchase one, but they want $1000 for the 48 month one and that just sounds way to high for me, unless you guys know it will be well worth it. At this point, I don't know how long I will keep this ski, but if it is like my bike, I have had my 2002 V-Rod for 5 years now and will probably keep it forever. When you get a good one, you just hold on to it.

Anything else I should look out for or need to be aware of on the 250X and expecially for the first ride. The service guy didn't really seem to be as in tune as I would have liked on the overview, but I have dealt this before in the motorcycle world, that is why I like to do most of my own maintenance when I can.

Thanks,
    Mike

UPDATE: I found the section on the recalls and what they call TSB I guess are FDM or something like that. So, please don't yell for not reading the sticky first. I read and am learning.

Congrats on your purchase. I just bought a 08 blue 250 a month ago. Click the link below for warranty info.

Gen Kawasaki 48 Month Extended Warranty GTTP Ultra 250X:eBay Motors (item 330333402595 end time Jun-25-09 06:44:56 PDT)

Here is another link for service bulletins:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89963

First off, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forums, you're headed for a lot of fun.

+1 on buying the ext warr from West County Powersports, as in the link from worldbfree. Same place I got mine from, cheap and legit, always a good combination.

As for the issue you brought up, I think you meant gas in the oil, not water. There have been tons of discussions that you can search on and read about, but in a nutshell, some 07s had it, 08s weren't as bad, and 09s Kawi finally got it right. Here's an example thread to start you off.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90600

Now go get wet!

+1
    Congrats as well.

I just bought a left over 07' a month ago too. Already 20 hours on it and loving it. I, too, didn't want to be in the same situation as you and be saying "gee I should have bought the Ultra 250" instead of saving some money and going with a less ski. I know I can't get a more powerful ski

Keep it clean with all that saltwater.

08 250X
    Thanks for the info on the extended warranty, $595 is much easier to swallow than the $1000 to $1100 they were trying to stick me with at the stealership. I have almost 5 hours on it now and am loving every minute of it. I haven't found anyone that wants to even try to keep up with me so far. I have been trying to take it easy on it so I break the motor in correctly, but as you know, it is hard to stay out of the throttle. Should I change the oil at 5 hours or 10 hours? The owners manual seems to say at 50 hours, but I would think I should change it earlier once the motor is broken in, to get rid of any dirt, and so forth. I need to get a service manual so I can do it myself. They won't void my warranty if I do my own oil changes will they?

Quote Originally Posted by mnerren View Post
    Thanks for the info on the extended warranty, $595 is much easier to swallow than the $1000 to $1100 they were trying to stick me with at the stealership. I have almost 5 hours on it now and am loving every minute of it. I haven't found anyone that wants to even try to keep up with me so far. I have been trying to take it easy on it so I break the motor in correctly, but as you know, it is hard to stay out of the throttle. Should I change the oil at 5 hours or 10 hours? The owners manual seems to say at 50 hours, but I would think I should change it earlier once the motor is broken in, to get rid of any dirt, and so forth. I need to get a service manual so I can do it myself. They won't void my warranty if I do my own oil changes will they?
    you can do your own oil changes and maintanance. Just keep records/receipts. I like to change it at first 10 hours. Mine seemed to have some fuel smell at the 10 hour, but after that oil change, none at all. Also check all hoses, clamps for tightness before first ride and again at 10 hours. Get the correct tool for the oil filter. Matter of fact check the oil now to make shure the dealer didnt over fill it as they sometimes do. Just spend time here reading everything and you will learn alot. Use the search feature as your bible. also check out http://www.250xtech.com/

Welcome

Just wanted to say welcome bro

Thread Information