Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Another New Buyer thread. Is the Ultra 250 overkill?

So I found a great deal on a low hour 2007 Ultra 250 (<$7000).

I dont know much other than it has good storage, Rough water capabilites, and is not the best on gas.

This will be my first ski, and it will mainly be used for island hopping & joy riding.

I have only been riding a few times on a VX Deluxe. I wouldnt mind having something a bit faster, but I dont need a monster.

Basically, I dont want to cut my day short of hanging out on the islands because the gas light is on.

Am I looking at the wrong ski?

Other ski's I have been considering are the FX/FX HO.

My 15F is maybe 16 gallons of low test fuel.
    My 250x is 21 gallons of High Test fuel..
    They both go the same distance.

Compared to a VX110 though. Yeah, it will not go as far as that model. That is a BASIC cheap as you can get engine. The 250x is a High Performacne macnine! Like a Yugo compared to a Corvette!

How far are you cruising?
    What kinds of speeds are you looking for?
    How much Maintenence are you willing to perform?

+1
    Thanks for the reply. I've only been riding two times. Call me a noob but going 50 on the VX seemed a bit fast to me. Maybe I just need to get used to the speed.

I was looking at the ultra for its stability and storage. I'm looking to island hop. I havent been enough to comprehend how far I will be going. I want to go exploring, find a nice spot to chill and drink some beer.

At this point, I dont think I need to go 70 MPH. But that could always change as I get more comfortable.

I am not a gear head and dont get anything out of working on my ski in the driveway. I want to ride it!

I was looking at this Ultra because it seemed like a good price.

I know this is other ski is a different ball park than the Ultra, but I found this on my local craigslist and i like that it has a maint. plan. I know its nowhere near as fast. However being that it is NA, it would most likely give me less headaches.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/1191042564.html

+1
    Am I comparing vettes and yugos again here? I would prefer reliablity over going 70 MPH.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Want decent speed, excellent fuel economy, reliability, and a decent ride, go with the 15f. Want the possibilty of more possibilities, (performance, rough water handling, a bit more maintenance, a bit more expensive to run, but one of the, if not the most kick-butt ski's on the market) get the 250. If you got the dough, I'd get the 250.

+1
    I suggest the Ultra LX, Kawasaki 15f or even the FX HO. They are all comparable but the 15f is probably the less offshore capable but the fastest of the 3 and I love mine. The Ultra LX is the same hull as the 250x but will go well over 100 miles.

I can tell you from experience that the 250x with 20 gallons and the 15f with it's 16 don't compare in distance as stated. I can go over 100 miles and the 250x is lucky to go 70 miles. If you don't want to be bothered by the gas light stay with a non-supercharged ski.

I just bought one for our family. Bought it on the spur of the moment with zero research. Just picked it up because we wanted a jetski and they were clearing them out. Biggest problem for me is always messing with the rising oil level. I have never had a jetski before (own a regular boat too) The kids and I love to ride it. Hoping to figure out the gas in oil thing so I don't have to spend so much $ on oil. It does eat gas but I am ok with that given how much fun it is. Does the distance indicator on the dash show miles? Is it very accurate?

I would say keep a eye out for a Ultra LX. Would be a good one for you. Not to bad on the gas. Runs mid 50's and with the storage of 53 gals you could pack alot of beer up front to keep you happy all day.

If possible test drive the one you are looking at, they all will ride differently.

I have a GP1200R and a 250X, my neighbor has a FX HO. I wouldnt trade my 250 for an FX HO or SHO due to the ride. I am on a closed lake with chop up to maybe 2 ft on the weekends and the FX was almost as bouncy as my GPR, the 250X is very comfy and doesnt bounce me all around.

If I were you I would go with the Ultra LX, if will give you good off shore for island hoping, great storage, and a rock solid engine with good mileage.

But drive the LX, the FX HO, the 15f, or whatever else you may think you want. That would be help your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    ...I have only been riding a few times on a VX Deluxe. I wouldnt mind having something a bit faster, but I dont need a monster...
    You might need a monster faster than you realize. I started at 55 but then I had to go 60 next year then 69 mph on an RXP, and then 70 once on Ultra (with 5 mph ocean current and 20 mile tailwinds.

65 is fine with me. But I need at least that speed to cover distances on Sound in reasonable time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information