Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 03 polaris genesis not starting :(

I am new to this forum/site and need some help regarding my 03 Polaris genesis. was running fine before I bought it ( so He said ) but does not start now. I checked the fuel pressure and it was about zero, so I checked the pressure regularo and it had fallen into the pump assem.I reattached with pin and now have 30 psi. I put together and tried to run but it would not start, then I tried shot of starting fluid in each trottle body and it started right up and kept running until I shut of 10 seconds later.Battery seemed a little low when cranking high 9 volts. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fuji600 View Post
    ...03 Polaris genesis. was running fine before I bought it ( so He said ) but does not start now.

I checked the fuel pressure and it was about zero, so I checked the pressure regulator and it had fallen into the pump assembly. I reattached with pin and now have 30 psi.

I put together and tried to run but it would not start, then I tried shot of starting fluid in each throttle body and it started right up and kept running until I shut off 10 seconds later.

Battery seemed a little low when cranking high 9 volts...
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click here for the 2003 Service Manual for your fuel injected Genesis i

Replace the battery - 9 volts is way too low when cranking. A new battery will deliver 11 volts or better while cranking. See if a fresh battery allows it to start on its own.

30 PSI sounds a little high for the fuel pressure. Are you sure you did not completely block off the return fuel path with the pin repair of the pressure regulator?

As a test, completely clamp off the return fuel line (between the schrader valve tee and the fuel tank), and check the fuel pressure. Then unclamp the return fuel line and check the pressure again.

If the two measurements are the same, then the return fuel line is blocked. The return fuel line needs to be able to flow, as the injectors use the fuel flowing through them to keep them cool.

I will try new battery tonight , but just wondering why jetski runs with a shot of starter fluid and stays running, but with starting fluid it wont start. Thanks again fofr the info, I will post after new battery and let you know.

+1
    With the new battery if it still needs starter fluid you need to check the Volts at the injectors .Absolute min of 20 v while cranking or they wont fire fuel in .

Bernie

Thanks! , batery will be charge tonight and I will install and try to fire it up, then do those checks if it will not start up.

+1
    ...then do those checks if it will not start up.
    Re-check the fuel pressure even if it does start. 30PSI is too high.

fuel pressure is about 22 psi, new battery cranking at 10.8 volts, still does not start, as soon as I spray starting fluid in throttlebodies it starts right up. I am trying to check the injector voltages but dont seem to get any readings, I unplugged the injectors and checked across the 2 wires on the plug and cant seem to get a reading, am I checking this the right way? This is a little frustrating, thanks for the help I appreciate it. -Roger

+1
    fuel pressure is about 22 psi, new battery cranking at 10.8 volts, still does not start, as soon as I spray starting fluid in throttlebodies it starts right up. I am trying to check the injector voltages but dont seem to get any readings...
    ...I installed the fuel reg. that fell into tank, put in new battery, checked fuel pressure again its at 22 psi when cranking,

jetski display says 9.9-10.2 cranking volts and the battery is new.

I got voltage at the injector plugs and they read 10 volts...
    Injector voltage is way too low.

Must be over 20 volts on the White/Red wires while cranking, with all injectors plugged in.

Either the EMM is bad, or the stator, or something in the wiring.

First, make 100% sure that both the 12-pin connector and the 8-pin connector are fully seated in the EMM, and that there is no corrosion or moisture on the EMM pins or the plugs.

There will be some Nyogel dielectric grease around the connector seals, that is used to protect the connector from water. But the Nyogel grease should not be on the actual pins - dielectric grease does not conduct electricity, it is an insulator.

Next check the stator coil ohms per the service manual.

If stator ohms look correct, then the EMM is probably in need of repair.

At the moment, the only company that is repairing the Polaris Ficht EMM is DFI Technologies.

just a quick question , why does the engine start and stay running with a shot starting fluid, but it will not start normally? It not only stays running it seems to rev up just fine.Thanks I will be checking stator and injector voltages tommorrow. emm connections -pulled apart today and they looked fine. thanks!

+1
    just a quick question , why does the engine start and stay running with a shot starting fluid, but it will not start normally? It not only stays running it seems to rev up just fine.

...I will be checking stator and injector voltages tomorrow.

EMM connections -pulled apart today and they looked fine.
    The Ficht EMM has a voltage boosting function, which is used when the engine is cranking, to build up enough voltage to fire the injectors. The injectors need over 20 volts to actually squirt fuel.

The EMM uses battery power to run the booster circuit during cranking. When the engine starts and reaches idle RPM (1150RPM), the voltage booster system is not needed, and the flywheel stator coils supply enough AC voltage for the EMM to deliver full 45 volt DC power to the injectors.

Once the engine is running, there is plenty of electrical power to run the injectors, and it will continue to run just fine, and deliver full horse power, until you shut if off.

When you prime the engine with starting fluid or gasoline, the engine lights off and builds RPM, even though the injectors were not injecting anything (if the injector voltage was too low).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information