Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Unhappy Weird voltage drop problem help!

I was having a problem where my voltage was dropping, doing weird things to my instrument cluster, then it would go up and everything would seem fine. It did it sporadically. Well, I relocated a couple grounds hoping it was something simple like that and I also pulled the battery and put it on a trickle charger. It fully charged in 10 minutes indicating to me that it was fine (although I haven't ruled out a bad cell). It's a Jetworks battery, KBC-35 or something like that.

Anyway, after I did those things, I took it out riding yesterday to test it out. Well, during a 2.5 hr ride, it only acted up once and it was at the end of the day going in. The voltage just started dropping again.

Please don't tell me I have a bad stator ..any ideas? This parcticular ski is an '03 1300R with 108 hrs.

+1
    Damn, all these electrical problems. To all you guys, check all the basics first. If you have a bad battery or connections, it will do wierd things to your electrical components. Especially on these EFI boats.

Basic battery test. After you run your boat it should show 12.5 volts or above. If it doesnt, you are probably not charging properly or have a bad battery.

The correct way to test a battery is with a machine with a resistor to put a load on the battery. Before a battery can be tested, it must have a min of 12.5 volts. You then load the battery is 1/2 the cold cranking amps for 15 secs. It shouldnt drop below 9.6 volts. If it does, replace battery.

You can also go ole skool and check specific gravity with a hydrometer. I dont remember the specs, but this used to be "the only way" to test. These cheapo impedance testers are only accurate some of the time IMO.

After you confirm your battery is good...THEN test your charging system. Simple, check voltage when not running, then voltage when running. Self explanitory.

I am not a Yamaha certified tech, but this is how I do it. If anyone knows a better method then speak up

+1

Talking

What, like YOU know something about this kind of stuff Rich?

my ski did the same thing.Low voltage.I kept riding it ran fine.Then my friend pulled me in because my battery died.Bought a new battery and it ran fine no quirks for about 30min to 1 hr. then warning light started beeping again i checked everything on my ski that i could except the stator.Pulled the stator last week and it was absolutly destroyed.It looked like it had been melted and beat with a BIG hammer.Also the front of the flywheel was messed up and had metal shavings all in the front stator cover and a big chunk of metal(when i say big it was like 2 or 3 bb's all melted together).I'm not sure what that's from.But what helped me figure it out was when your running and your warning light comes on don't shut the ski off.Slow to an idle and hold the bottom button on your instrument cluster down for 10-15 seconds and wait for a code.Mine came up 19.Thanks to the advice and help from guys on here that's what i did to find my problem and got a used stator from WFO and a new flywheel from boats.net and should be going back together when i get the time...hope this helps...

On the battary that nate is using it doesnt have the little blocks (not sure what they are called ) that the screws thread into ... Could this cause this problem ? What are those blocks for anyways ?

thanks

i believe those blocks are what the bolts thread into. you need them to maintain a good connection to the battery. how can you not have the blocks?

maybe i'm confused

+1
    i had a similar problem on my fx160
    some rides it would be fine and others it would lose voltage
    the dealer also could not find the fault so we started replacing parts(under warenty)
    after the stator had been replaced and not fixed the problem,it was time to replace the flywheel
    while i was striping it down to do this i finaly found the fault
    it was a loose wire in one of the plug conectors
    it had tested fine but had not cliped home so when the conector was pushed together it pushed apart and when you pulled the conector apart it looked fine
    was a tuff one to find took 12 months, but this was because i could still ride the ski and didn't just work threw the whole thing till it was found

kev

Unhappy hmm

I'll check some plugs under the hood. Maybe something got pulled a little loose when the EFI was put in. I'll start checking all that crap.

For those that did the stator, did you pull the motor? How much time did it take you to do the stator job? At least I have the keyway mod sitting here...lol

Lightbulb codes

ok i turned the ski on and it gave me a code 48, and i ran it and it gave me a code 01 a couple times. never saw the code 48 again. any ideas? thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NateGP1300R
    ok i turned the ski on and it gave me a code 48, and i ran it and it gave me a code 01 a couple times. never saw the code 48 again. any ideas? thanks.
    48-Incorrect Data Transmission

Do you have an EFI controller?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information