Occasional starting problems--Virage TX

I'm new to this forum, so please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place. I have an 00 virage TX (1200cc and carbs), and the last 2 times out, I've had starting difficulties after a period of perfectly normal running. For example, today I had it out for about 2 hours. During that time I started and stopped multiple times with no problems. After another stop, it would not start. I let it sit a while and put in brand new plugs, and it still would not start. So I got a tow to the ramp, put it on the trailer and drove home. At home in the driveway, it fired right up. The exact same thing happened the last time I had the ski out. Any ideas? Other than this intermittent starting issue, it runs perfectly.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

A moderator may move this to the General Discussions forum, but we can start here

You should start by checking to see if your electrical box has been changed to reflect Service Bulletin PWC-00-05.

If the CDI wiring change has not been done yet, make the change and see if that solves the problem.

Also, you can download the Polaris Service Manuals from here.

When the engine won't start, are you getting a strong spark at the plugs, weak spark, or no spark?

If the service bulletin change doesn't help (or has already been done), then you may have a problem with either the stator magneto (which is inside the flywheel), or the CDI failing when it gets warm.

Let us know if the problem persists with the CDI Red/Purple wire moved from the Red/Purple terminal to the Orange terminal.

Thanks for the welcome and the information! The service bulletin link does not work. Where can I find this? I do have a Polaris shop manual. Would it be in there?
    Regarding the spark, I have not checked that. If you pull a plug out on the lake, should you be able to see a spark in bright conditions like that?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rpt50 View Post
    ...The service bulletin link does not work...

Regarding the spark, I have not checked that. If you pull a plug out on the lake, should you be able to see a spark in bright conditions like that?
    Service Bulletin link fixed

If you hold the body of the spark plug against clean metal (somewhere not painted) on the cylinder head, you should be see a blue-white spark.

Try this in your drive way, so you know what a 'good' spark looks like.

When you are out on the water with wet hands, be careful to not give yourself a shock. Take a work glove with you, and hold the threaded side of the spark plug body firmly against the engine so it has a solid metal-to-metal electrical contact.

Take a spare spark plug with you. Then you don't have to unscrew anything from the engine. Just move the spark plug wire to the spare plug, and see if it is sparking.

Great information. My ski is acting exactly like scenario #2, except that I have a combined start/stop button. I will go ahead and take a look at the CDI and see how things are connected.

SCENARIO #1 MODELS WITH DUAL FUNCTION START/STOP BUTTON

Symptom: Engine will not turn over when engine is warm. After stopping the engine and trying
    to re-start the engine when warm, the starter motor will not turn over. In this scenario, the CDI
    remains powered up after the engine is shut off, causing the CDI to think the engine is still run-ning
    even though it is not. After the engine and CDI cool, it will re-start normally. Install jumper
    wire PN 2460928 to resolve this issue, following the instructions below.

SCENARIO #2 MODELS WITH SEPARATE START/STOP BUTTON

Symptom: Engine turns over but will not start when engine is warm. After stopping the engine
    and trying to re-start the engine when warm, the engine will crank, but not start. Again, in this
    scenario, the CDI remains powered up after the engine is shut off, causing the CDI to think the
    engine is still running even though it is not. After the engine and CDI cool, it will re-start normally.
    Install jumper wire PN 2460928 to resolve this issue, following the instructions below.
    Parts Required
    Quantity
    Part No. Description
    1 2460928 Harness, Jumper, PWC

is this something that could happen on hurricane as well?
    cause even tho i got updated ignition kit i still sometimes cant restart for 5-10 minutes when hot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by klze View Post
    is this something that could happen on hurricane as well?
    cause even tho i got updated ignition kit i still sometimes cant restart for 5-10 minutes when hot.
    Yes, I think it also applies to the Hurricane.

In fact, I think this applies to all domestic CDI engines. After 2000, they came from the factory wired this way, with the CDI Red?Purple connected to the Orange wires.

Thread Information