Thread: R&D Auto Trim

Talking R&D Auto Trim

I just bought a used GP1200r a few weeks ago and it was set up for close course racing and I am ALL ABOUT GOING FAST / TOP SPEED. When I called Carl at Island he suggest to remove that and go back to the stock VTS. How much speed should I expect the R&D to slow me down. I went 67.1 with my Garmin this weekend and was at 7170 RPM.
    I have Riva Billet Heads with 41cc pump gas domes and gridle kit, Carl worked on and tuned the Carbs. Advent CDI, Solas 13/19 impeller, Stinger 2 pipe, Riva stock ride plate, Riva Trim Tabs, UMI steeing, Riva Triple Gas pick up, Leo's pump wedge, Pro X pistons and rings, Riva flame arrestors, Oil Block off, Free Flow exhaust, Solas billet cone, R&D Single Bar intake grate.
    I am thinking of getting the HO Conversion from Carl and a new Dynafly 15/25 impellor.... Do you still need the 2" spacer? I am also going to order the R&D plate from Jims with the FF mods.... Does sanding the hull really make you faster?
    Is the R&D Auto trim really slowing me down.
    Thanks Clay

Moderated
    there is no way you will be able to turn that prop (DF 14/25) with those mods....even with an HO pump because your rpms are too low. You wouldneed to spin the 14/25 @ 7100+ to be viable ( in the heat)

you need vf3 reeeds and perhaps more had compression at the minimum.

the 2" spacer is also worth getting as it improves hookup quite a bit.

as for the auto drop nozzle, i am not sure as i have never tested one.

Talking 14/25

Awesome, I just bought the M16 reeds and 2" spacer on Ebay and the guy will be sending it out on Monday. I have the 13/19 on there now. Can I go bigger or do I need to stay at the 13/19? Thanks. This is the BEST forum on the web. Thanks for ALL of your help in the 1000 of threads I have already read.

Dominator R&D Intake

When I got the M16 reeds I also bought the Dominator intake, so I think that may help with more low end power.

Moderated
    be careful with the m16 reeds, they have a reputation for failing fast, i think adding a spacer or something mitigates that risk though, to at least some extent form what i have read.

thats why we all run vf3's not the m16's

if you dont have an after market tach, now is the time to get one as you will need it, the stock tach is miles off and no use when tuning. you can get a tiny tach for like 30 dollars but they are not so good, they work but they update everything few seconds, the ones to get is a Pet tach.

once you have your tach fitted and you get a base line for rrpm, then add the reeds and retest and see how much rpm it picked up....then you wll know for sure what gains you got and you can get a prop to suit .

two of the most important tools one needs when tuning or modding a ski is;

1. After Market tach ( Measure RPM's)
    2.a hand held GPS ( Measure Speeds)

ps: let carl know you bought a 2" spacer for the pump because you need some extra bits now like steering and trim extensions (for starters ) and longer pump bolts, you may need a intermediate shaft as well.

do you want to sell the autodrop? i want to experiment with converting it to a older pump

Talking R&D Auto Trim

Yeah, I may be selling it. I just got the ski last week and I am all about speed not closed course racing. It will highside you if your not on your toes.... It is crazy when it comes to turning. I will let you know.

Tiny Tach

Yes, I do have a Tiny Tach on there now. I am thinking about the PET-2100DX as an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicLEDs View Post
    Yeah, I may be selling it. I just got the ski last week and I am all about speed not closed course racing. It will highside you if your not on your toes.... It is crazy when it comes to turning. I will let you know.
    ok thank you, shoot me a pm

Thread Information