Post Grey fuel Lines (Another)

I just bought a 96 Gti 720 SeaDoo and i have heard all negative things about these grey fuel lines in these things. I am thinking about changing them i know i will be needing about 25 ft of line, but i dont know what size can anyone help me with this. And one other thing where can i find these stainless steal clamps that i will be needing to attach the lines? Thanks a lot for any information that is provided.

One more thing is this a tough job to do? And how long should it take?

The line I believe should be 1/4" ID. When I had mine done, Mike just used zip ties on all mine, the metal clamps are annoying.

it did not leak when just using Zip ties?

not that I know of...I hope not at least lol.

Haha One other thing is this a do it yourself project or should i have someone do it looking at it, all those lines seen overwhelming but i might just be overestimating it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Be careful messing with the fuel lines if you are not confident that it will be done properly.
    Fuel leaking inside a PWC hull is seriously dangerous.

In my opinion, Zip ties are not a safe clamp for fuel lines.

If you don't like gear clamps (I don't either), then use proper clamps like the Oetiker Stepless clamps. Professional results, safe and reliable.

The factory Oetiker hose clamps are easily removed with a pair of sharp side cutters. Just cut the raised bump off, and the whole thing lets go.

The tool for installing the Oetiker hose clamps is not expensive, and the clamps aren't costly either. Order the hand tool and a bunch of the Oetiker Stepless ear clamps, and have a really professional looking result

The only downside to these clamps is that they are a one-time use.

Pages 7 and 8 in this Oetiker catalog tell you how to choose the size and part number to order, and page 24 shows the hand tools.

Unlike gear style hose clamps, the upside with the Oetiker clamps is that they don't work loose or leak, they don't cut into the hose like gear clamps do, and there is no sharp metal tab sticking out to cut your hands when you are working on other things.

Cheap gear clamps often don't apply even pressure all the way around the hose. Under the gear, there is often a small gap, which can leak.

Keep in mind on the carbureted machines that everything up to the fuel pump is under suction, not pressure. Any small leaks will allow air bubbles into the fuel feed to the engine, which can make the fuel delivery lean.

+1 On everything K said, You just don't want to screw around with gasoline..... or the fuel system that delivers it.

Here are a couple tips for you that will make this job a little easier, not that it's too hard, just takes some time and attention to detail.

1) Remove the existing Fuel Line as much intact as possible, that way you can lay the new Fuel Line next to it section by section and cut the lengths correctly. For GT models, 20ft. 1/4" line will do the job. Some models also use 5/16" Fuel Line on the delivery side, check the parts microfiche for details on your machine and application. Roughly: 1/4" = 6mm and 8mm = 5/16"

2) On a "vintage" ski it's a good idea to just spend a little dough and replace the Fuel Valve, don't bother cleaning it, the internals and inner O-ring are probably shot anyway. They cost about $25 from a Sea-Doo parts supplier, but don't worry 'bout the cost, Step 3 is going to save you a pile of cash anyway....

Also, when replacing the VENT section of the Fuel Line after the "T",, be sure to put the (2) Check Valves in a same location and oriented the same direction they were originally,,, they are not the same valve and they *are* directional, so pay attention to that detail. If in doubt, mark them before cutting them out of the Fuel Line.

3) go to www.mcmaster.com and order (1) bag of the Stainless Steel OEM Oetiker Crimp Clamps and the 1/4" Fuel line,, you wont find those SST Oetiker Clamps any less expensive anywhere else and SD changes about $4.00+/ea. for them.You need about 20 for the entire Fuel System.
    .......... $8.48 a Bag of 25,,, not a bad deal

p/n 52545K53 for the 1/4" Stainless Steel Oetiker Clamps

p/n 52545K55 for the 5/16" Stainless Steel Oetiker Clamps for those follks reading this that need the larger Fuel Line for the Supply side of their Fuel System.

==== FUEL LINE ===

54605K32
    Low Pressure SAE 30R7 Fuel-Line Hose 1/4" ID 1/2" OD, 50 PSI, Black
    In stock
    Quantity Per Ft.
    1-99 Ft. $0.89

54605K33
    Low Pressure SAE 30R7 Fuel-Line Hose 5/16" ID , 9/16" OD, 50 PSI, Black
    In stock
    Quantity Per Ft.

You can use a set of Flush Cut Wire Cutters to Crimp these Clamps since they are not re-useable. (Home Depot)
    I have used Flush Cut wire cutters to Crimp these for years, never any problem...

If your fuel system is old, then it is a good idea to clean and rebuild the Carb.(s),,,, or at the least, clean the Internal Fuel Filter inside them.

Hope this helps...

David

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by David_HX_RXP View Post
    3) go to www.mcmaster.com and order (1) bag of the Stainless Steel OEM Oetiker Crimp Clamps and the 1/4" Fuel line,,

you wont find those SST Oetiker Clamps any less expensive anywhere else...

You need about 20 for the entire Fuel System.
    .......... $8.48 a Bag of 25,,, not a bad deal

p/n 52545K53 for the 1/4" Stainless Steel Oetiker Clamps...
    These will clamp 1/4" fuel line that is 12.3-14.8mm outside diameter

==== FUEL LINE ===

54605K32
    Low Pressure SAE 30R7 Fuel-Line Hose 1/4" ID 1/2" OD...
    Excellent information - and well presented

If the fuel line purchased is a little less than 0.5" outside diameter (mine are only 12mm outside), the slightly smaller 52545K51 Ear clamps might be a better fit.

McMaster-Carr doesn't sell the genuine Oetiker Ear clamps, but the McMaster-Carr ear clamps look like they will work just fine.

Thread Information