Cleaning hull interior

Ok so i know alot of you guys on here have hulls that you could eat out of the inside (k447 for one) and I was just wondering how you go about cleaning out the interior of your hull, mine is brutal! Had a ride or two that i went on and the oil spilled inside and such.

Anyways any help would be nice
    thanks

I don't think my "hull bling" compares to K447's (who's does? ), but I use a product called "foamy engine brite." Costs about $2/can and can be purchased at most auto supply stores.

It's a good degreaser. You can spray it on, let it set for about 30 seconds, and then spray it off with the hose. I sometimes "rinse and repeat." Really stubborn stuff can be scrubbed with a brush before you rinse.

Good luck!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow How to clean up the hull interior

Aw - shucks

Once you have degreased most of the oily stuff out, you can use a strong blend of Simple Green and household laundry Bleach to whiten it up inside.

Wear old clothes, and wear gloves and eye protection, and try not to breathe the bleach fumes in.

When I cleaned mine, I first poured the Simple Green into the bottom, mixed with some warm water (drain plugs installed). Don't over dilute the Simple Green. Some guys also toss in a dishwasher cleaning tablet.

Wrap a plastic bag over and around the entire engine air intake, so water spray can not get into the intake. Take the front bucket out, and clean it separately. Take everything out of the hull that isn't bolted down. I would take the battery out too.

I mixed some bleach into a Simple Green spray bottle (label the bottle), and sprayed all the inside surfaces, especially the sides and the flotation foam. Again, bleach mist is not good to breathe in, or get on your skin, so be careful.

Then I took it for a ride on the trailer. This sloshes it around, and helps clean out underneath the engine and fuel tank. No need to find really bumpy roads, just normal trailering will do the job. I would put the seat on to prevent it from splashing out.

Don't get into the car with any bleach on your clothes or hands, as you do not want to damage the upholstery.

When you get back home, spray some more bleach mixture onto the insides, and let it sit for a little while. Keep respraying every few minutes to keep it wet until you think it has done the job. Don't let it dry onto the surfaces.

Now shift the hull back on the trailer to make it easier to lift the trailer hitch up, and latch the winch so the hull won't slide any farther back.

Take the drain plugs out, lift the trailer front as high as you can, and put a support under to keep it up. A friend is useful for this step. Be careful not to drop the jet pump onto the ground at the rear.

Use your garden hose to fully wash down and rinse out the hull interior, and rinse the outside too. Make sure the bleach+Simple Green mixture doesn't drain onto sensitive plants or lawn. Rinse everything down thoroughly.

If it needs it, use a scrub brush and some more Simple Green to manually clean the bottom, with a bleach spray follow up, and another good rinsing.

By now, it should be looking pretty good

"hull bling"

Here is the results I got using a all purpose cleaner. I also used a brush for the stubborn areas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jun06_0004.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	136546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jun06_0003.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	136547  

wow that sounds like it will do the job, just where is the air intake that i need to cover before i start all this. oh ya i have a 1996 slt 780

I will pull the battery before i start, its just has alot of oil in the bottom that makes a big mess when i ride

if you have a puddle of oil at the bottom of the hull. Soak it up first with shop towels/rags.....................

then proceed with the cleaners.......................

air intake is the 1' blue plastic cover to the side of the 3 blue round domes where the spark plugs go into.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by paramuir View Post
    ...where is the air intake that i need to cover ...1996 slt 780...
    Items 2, 3, 5 in the diagram
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3568%5C3568B007.gif 
Views:	60 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	136642  

Thread Information