Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool turns off if you let go of start button? please help

hi, i'm new to the board. I just bought a 2002 virage txi and it seems to have some starting problems. it sometimes starts but when it does you have to keep holding the red start button while you drive, once you drive for about 8-10 min. you can let go of it. Sometimes it would start just turns over but won't turn on.

I noticed on the gage it has 12.8v when i put the key in and once i hit the start button it goes down to like 8 or 9v, but i dont think that is the issue cause i have another one that does the same.

I but a new battery in, new starter solinoid(sp), and have some spark plugs on order. Do you think it could be something with the starter? Any help would be great. thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kc44408 View Post
    hi, i'm new to the board. I just bought a 2002 virage txi and it seems to have some starting problems. it sometimes starts but when it does you have to keep holding the red start button while you drive, once you drive for about 8-10 min. you can let go of it. Sometimes it would start just turns over but won't turn on.

I noticed on the gage it has 12.8v when i put the key in and once i hit the start button it goes down to like 8 or 9v, but i dont think that is the issue cause i have another one that does the same.

I but a new battery in, new starter solinoid(sp), and have some spark plugs on order. Do you think it could be something with the starter? Any help would be great. thanks
    this may be silly but I bought new lanyards and they were thicker. This solved my problem (it was sort of like yours).

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    You need to check the battery volts with a meter when cranking. Don't rely on the display, as it may not be accurate. A good fully charged battery sould maintain 11 volts while cranking. 10.5 volts are minimum for it to fire. If the battery is good, try pressing and holding the bilge switch while starting. Will it stay running with the bilge switch closed?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...I just bought a 2002 Virage TXi and it seems to have some starting problems.

it sometimes starts but when it does you have to keep holding the red start button while you drive, once you drive for about 8-10 min. you can let go of it.

Sometimes it would start just turns over but won't turn on.

I noticed on the gauge it has 12.8v when i put the key in and once i hit the start button it goes down to like 8 or 9v, but i don't think that is the issue cause i have another one that does the same.

I but a new battery in, new starter solenoid, and have some spark plugs on order. Do you think it could be something with the starter? Any help would be great. thanks
    Welcome to the Hulk

I am surprised you have not totally burned out the starter motor!

Normally, the starter motor is designed to crank the engine for a few seconds, not run continuously for many minutes.

Until you get this problem sorted out, I suggest you do not ride these machines. You run the risk of being stranded on the water, which can be dangerous if you are far from shore.

You say both machines show very low voltage on the MFI display while being cranked? This is not normal.

Use a multi-meter to confirm what the battery voltage is while the engine is cranking. Unplug the spark plug wires, so the engine won't start while you are doing this test.

A healthy battery will deliver over 10.5 volts while the engine is cranking, and a really good battery will deliver 11.0 volts or higher.

I have the 2002 Virage TXi, and it does not require any button holding. It will also start within a few seconds, every time, and idles without holding the start button.

Can you provide some more details about these two machines. Do both of them have exactly the same problem symptoms?

What do you mean by "Sometimes it would start just turns over but won't turn on."

Just to confirm, this is the Ficht fuel injected engine - correct?

yes it is direct injected. I have had the battery tested and they said it was good. I only have problems with one, but both show the same low voltage when they are trying to turn on. I will use a volt meter and let you know.

Can you buy a starter bush kit for this ski? i think that is what my problem is.

what is the best place to order parts? i can't find any thing close by my house. i live in san jose ca.

+1
    ...Can you buy a starter brush kit for this ski? i think that is what my problem is.

what is the best place to order parts? i can't find any thing close by my house. i live in san jose ca.
    A problem inside the starter motor would not create the symptoms you have described. Holding the Start button down to keep the engine running means there is a problem somewhere else, not in the starter motor.

Any shop that rebuilds starter motors for power sports equipment should have the parts for these starter motors.

As a pre-emtive move, I would suggest removing, cleaning, and checking both ends of both battery cables. Especially the engine ground bolt, and the connections to the start solenoid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119876.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	136576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119893.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	136577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119894.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	136578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7100518.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	136579  

sounds like most of you guys think it the battery or battery connections. I'm to look more into the battery cause it's just a cheap wal mart battery.

+1
    sounds like most of you guys think it the battery or battery connections. I'm to look more into the battery cause it's just a cheap wal mart battery.
    A good quality sealed AGM type battery is the best for PWC. Deka ETX16LM, or Odyssey PC625

I do not think a weak battery is the reason for you needing to hold the Start button down to keep the engine running. That problem is something else.

Start by cleaning the cable ends, as I outlined, and checking the battery voltage during cranking with a good multi-meter.

Once we have those questions out of the way, we can make some progress.
    Last edited by K447; 06-22-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Any fix tom this yet? I have a ski doing the same thing it will only run if the start button is held down. I am going to try a new Batt. Today.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GopedGarage View Post
    ...I have a ski doing the same thing it will only run if the start button is held down. I am going to try a new Batt. Today.
    Best to create your own new thread in the Polaris General Discussion forum.

Tell us what you can regarding the problem symptoms, the mechanical history of the machine, and anything esle that might be relevant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information