+1

Question PV failure - couple questions?

This takes me back aways ... I have had two GPRs and an XLT and upgraded the PVs themselves and put on WaveEater keepers and couplers too ... but that was years ago. I sold my 2000 GPR to my brother and I was prepping it for this summer for him and decided to take a look at the PVs. Well, the middle PV head has broken off and the pin is sitting in the cavity ... luckily these were the upgraded PVs with a better keeper and the PV has not fallen into the cylinder, but I need to replace the PV.

I have not messed with GPRs in a few years, so I would love a little input. Do the upgraded PVs (2001-2ish upgrade) still break regularly? We run Amsoil syn oil and the valves move great, very little gunk in there, so that was not the issue ... I have not read too much about PV failures lately, so I was a little surprised to see the broken valve.

Can I just replace the one PV? The other two look great. Should I grab any other parts/hardware when I order?

Since this is the middle PV, I think the simplest way to do this is to remove the PV hardware and circlips on the middle and the front cylinder and slide the middle PV shaft out/into the front valve area, put in the new valve, slide back and reassemble. It has been awhile, so does this sound correct? I would love to avoid pulling the exhaust apart which I would need to do to pull the rear PV & wheel out ... I think I can leave that one alone and just move the shaft to the front one instead hopefully.

Just trying to help my brother out and a little refresher from any GPR experts would be a big help!

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    The 03 and up had the updated power valve have not heard of many issues with them, To change the center one you will also have to move the rear PV shaft back to get the middle shaft back far enough to get the power valve out.

+1
    Got it, thanks Jim. Will I have to move the exhaust or can I get enough clearance by moving the shaft/wheel back without removing the exhaust?

Also, are the PVs really $160 each new?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Got it, thanks Jim. Will I have to move the exhaust or can I get enough clearance by moving the shaft/wheel back without removing the exhaust?

Also, are the PVs really $160 each new?
    No need to move exhaust, I think they are that much.

Thread Information