+1

Kingston/1000 island day trip/BBQ!

I've been wanting to make a day trip to explore 1000 islands this summer. I've mentioned it to a few members here that I was interested in it and I have a rough draft of a what the day would be like. I would love to make this a Green Hulk trip and encourage anyone that would be interested to join us. We still have a few questions in regards to the trip, but I'm sure some of you already know the answers I'm looking for! Anyways, here are the details of the trip so far;

-Launch from the Kingston military base boat ramp. I belive it would be free to do so, so I'm looking into it... if not, I'm sure the fee would be quite modest.
    -Once we're all in the water, our first stop would be Fort Henry as it's just around the corner. It wouldn't be too far from the ramp. Also, Fort Henry would be our last stop. I'd want this this trip to be on a Wednesday so that we could see the fireworks show!
    -After viewing Fort Henry, we'd make our way past Grindstone Is and Welesley Is. to Heart Is.
    -At Heart Is, we'd be checking out Boldt Castle. This is a near-perfect Rhineland castle that was never fully finished. However, I'm not entirely sure if we'd be allowed to visit this site because it's on the American side. Does anyone know if we'd be allowed to visit here? Would we need our passports?
    -Once finished with Boldt Castle, we'd take off back to Grindstone Is. to Potters Beach. If we're permitted, We can have a small BBQ and go swimming/relax for maybe 3 hours approximately.
    -Our next stop would be back to Fort Henry just before the sunset, and we'd watch the Fireworks display.
    -When the show is over, we'd go back to the the base ramp facilities.

I havn't picked a date yet, but I'm looking to do this sometime in August. So we have ample amounts of time to plan this. This trip would not be limited to ski's. Boats are definately welcome as well. A buddy of mine from work will be joining us and he's bringing his boat. (Gotta store the stuff for the BBQ somewhere!)

So, please feel free to make comments/suggestions or raise questions about this trip! This would be my first time doing this. I'm hoping BOATADDICT will join us on this trip as he's done 1000 islands before!

I have no clue how much fuel we'd need or how long it takes us to get from one point to another. So these are things that would need to be addressed and I'm hoping some of the members here could shed some light on this.

Also, if you're interested in this trip, please let me know how many people you want to bring with you and what type of craft(s) you have. Everyone would be responsible for providing their own transportation of course and food/money/proper documents.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    I've been wanting to make a day trip to explore 1000 islands this summer. I've mentioned it to a few members here that I was interested in it and I have a rough draft of a what the day would be like. I would love to make this a Green Hulk trip and encourage anyone that would be interested to join us. We still have a few questions in regards to the trip, but I'm sure some of you already know the answers I'm looking for! Anyways, here are the details of the trip so far;

-Launch from the Kingston military base boat ramp. I belive it would be free to do so, so I'm looking into it... if not, I'm sure the fee would be quite modest.
    -Once we're all in the water, our first stop would be Fort Henry as it's just around the corner. It wouldn't be too far from the ramp. Also, Fort Henry would be our last stop. I'd want this this trip to be on a Wednesday so that we could see the fireworks show!
    -After viewing Fort Henry, we'd make our way past Grindstone Is and Welesley Is. to Heart Is.
    -At Heart Is, we'd be checking out Boldt Castle. This is a near-perfect Rhineland castle that was never fully finished. However, I'm not entirely sure if we'd be allowed to visit this site because it's on the American side. Does anyone know if we'd be allowed to visit here? Would we need our passports?
    -Once finished with Boldt Castle, we'd take off back to Grindstone Is. to Potters Beach. If we're permitted, We can have a small BBQ and go swimming/relax for maybe 3 hours approximately.
    -Our next stop would be back to Fort Henry just before the sunset, and we'd watch the Fireworks display.

I havn't picked a date yet, but I'm looking to do this sometime in August. So we have ample amounts of time to plan this. This trip would not be limited to ski's. Boats are definately welcome as well. A buddy of mine from work will be joining us and he's bringing his boat. (Gotta store the stuff for the BBQ somewhere!)

So, please feel free to make comments/suggestions or raise questions about this trip! This would be my first time doing this. I'm hoping BOATADDICT will join us on this trip as he's done 1000 islands before!

I have no clue how much fuel we'd need or how long it takes us to get from one point to another. So these are things that would need to be addressed and I'm hoping some of the members here could shed some light on this.

Also, if you're interested in this trip, please let me know how many people you want to bring with you and what type of craft(s) you have. Everyone would be responsible for providing their own transportation of course and food/money/proper documents.
    that would be a fun day but a weekend would be best for most people i would think. I know i would like to check out the area, keep use updated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...day trip to explore 1000 islands this summer...details of the trip so far;

-Launch from the Kingston military base boat ramp. I believe it would be free to do so, so I'm looking into it... if not, I'm sure the fee would be quite modest.

This is US territory, and all the usual documentation rules and import restrictions would apply.
    It is probably more trouble than many might want to bother with.
    They are set up for tourist boatloads, and they make sure every person who comes from a Canadian boat goes back onto the same boat.I am not sure how they would handle a loose group of PWC, and there may not be good dockage for skis.

Definitely need to do your homework on this one. Call the actual US office on the island.

PWC are not allowed to be running on the water after sunset (the official sunset time, not when it actually gets dark).
    The fireworks schedule might mean that the PWC need to be pulled off the water before the show ends.

I haven't picked a date yet, but I'm looking to do this sometime in August. So we have ample amounts of time to plan this. This trip would not be limited to ski's. Boats are definitely welcome as well. A buddy of mine from work will be joining us and he's bringing his boat. (Gotta store the stuff for the BBQ somewhere!)

Someone needs to work out the on-the-water route, the distances to be traveled, and where the fuel stations are along the way (if any). Some PWC can go twice as far as others before the fuel tank runs out.

And some PWC need premium gasoline, which not all marine locations sell. My own two PWC need 89 octane or better.

The basic idea sounds interesting, but it will take some research and solid planning to make this come together.

You might want to connect with others who have planned PWC group trips in the past. The more information the better about everything from washroom locations to anchor restrictions and dock availability.

Support boats are always a good thing, not only to carry food, but also to transport people if they cannot ride the ski for any reason - injury, sickness, tired, rough water.

Water conditions will also be important. Someone needs to be familiar enough to know when the water in one area might be rough, while in another area it will be smooth.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ...day trip to explore 1000 islands this summer...details of the trip so far;

-Launch from the Kingston military base boat ramp. I believe it would be free to do so, so I'm looking into it... if not, I'm sure the fee would be quite modest.

This is US territory, and all the usual documentation rules and import restrictions would apply.
    It is probably more trouble than many might want to bother with.
    They are set up for tourist boatloads, and they make sure every person who comes from a Canadian boat goes back onto the same boat.I am not sure how they would handle a loose group of PWC, and there may not be good dockage for skis.

Definitely need to do your homework on this one. Call the actual US office on the island.

Customs is located at the castle. They usually move the line along quickly and I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes. You would need your passport.

PWC are not allowed to be running on the water after sunset (the official sunset time, not when it actually gets dark).
    The fireworks schedule might mean that the PWC need to be pulled off the water before the show ends.

The law actually states that they suggest that you don't run after dark. The issue that you would run into is not having lights on your PWC. Frankly being on the water after dark is unwise anyway.
    I haven't picked a date yet, but I'm looking to do this sometime in August. So we have ample amounts of time to plan this. This trip would not be limited to ski's. Boats are definitely welcome as well. A buddy of mine from work will be joining us and he's bringing his boat. (Gotta store the stuff for the BBQ somewhere!)

Someone needs to work out the on-the-water route, the distances to be traveled, and where the fuel stations are along the way (if any). Some PWC can go twice as far as others before the fuel tank runs out.

And some PWC need premium gasoline, which not all marine locations sell. My own two PWC need 89 octane or better.

There are many fueling stations along the way. There is Kingston, Gananoque, Ivy Lea, Rockport, Alexandria Bay and Clayton.
    My experience is that the supercharged craft run fine on regular. I always start my day with premium when I launch and then run whatever I can get for the rest of the day. I have never had any problems.

Sounds like a good idea. It is better running during the week as the waves from the hundreds of boats out there on the weekends make for rough riding. I cannot say if I can make it until later in the summer.

+1
    Hey Rob,

You wouldn't know by chance if the castle has decent docking facilities or not would you?

+1
    Hey Rob,

You wouldn't know by chance if the castle has decent docking facilities or not would you?
    I think it does. My folks were there last week and parked a 45footer there so im sure there would be room for a couple skis tied together. I was looking at thier pics and that castle's boat house is insane.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    I think it does. My folks were there last week and parked a 45footer there so im sure there would be room for a couple skis tied together. I was looking at thier pics and that castle's boat house is insane.
    Are you talking about the one that houses all the antiques? Yeah... it looks really nice, but then again, so does just about everything at this place!

+1
    yup that the one... That #4 pic of a mini castle i think was the kids play house.

Thread Information