Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A slightly different premix question

I just got a nearly perfect, totally stock 2000 GP1200R with 70 hours. I have searched threads. I have ordered Waveeater clips and now I am on to the oil issue that seems to exist. I was all set to go premix, when I read about a couple of different ways to keep oild lines from coming off.

Here is my question. What is the typical oil problem with these skis? Do oil lines come off? If so, where? Does the oil pump fail? Would I be better off to go premix or attach lines in a better manor?

I do have a couple more questions, for the heck of it. If I get a D plate, what kind of 2 stroke oil is good and priced fairly?

If I go d plate, weave eater clips, and resolve the oil issue, then my ski should be good to go, right?

Thanks!,
    Jason

BTW This forum seems great!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jason999 View Post
    I just got a nearly perfect, totally stock 2000 GP1200R with 70 hours. I have searched threads. I have ordered Waveeater clips and now I am on to the oil issue that seems to exist. I was all set to go premix, when I read about a couple of different ways to keep oild lines from coming off.

Here is my question. What is the typical oil problem with these skis? Do oil lines come off? If so, where? Does the oil pump fail? Would I be better off to go premix or attach lines in a better manor? Yes oil lines have come off. Yes pumps have failed. There really is no way to attach the lines better. Pre-mixing is worry free way of knowing oil is getting to your motor before its to late.

I do have a couple more questions, for the heck of it. If I get a D plate, what kind of 2 stroke oil is good and priced fairly? Amsoil Interceptor 2 stroke. Mix 40:1. Amsoil also have a preferred customer option where you pay at cost for the oil for a small fee.

If I go d plate, weave eater clips, and resolve the oil issue, then my ski should be good to go, right? Can't promise anything but it'll pretty much solve most of the issues these ski's have had. Also look into getting a pump tunnel reinforcement kit.

Thanks!,
    Jason

BTW This forum seems great!

Thanks for the reply. Any other opinions are appreciated.

I haven't heard of a pump tunnel reinforcement. I guess I'll have to figure out what that is now...

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49610 here's a thread on it. Good luck Welcome to the site.

+1
    Can't say it any better than xsock...

Yes that is a good start but the first time you get beat you will have the need for speed. gl with the ski

I'm not really worried if someone passes me. I've never had a jet ski, and the GP seems very fast to me. I just bought it to play around with and enjoy. I was surprised that it was so unstable when still or at very low speeds. It's no big deal, but I didn't expect it. I was also surprised how dangerously fast the thing turns!

So is oil pump failure common, or is line failure more common? Where and why do the lines fail and why cant they be secured? Another question, if I follow the directions at cajundude's site and use the block off, is there any reason that I can't use my old parts and go back to auto mix, if I get ready to sale?

Thanks!!

+1
    I have been on "auto mix" for 300 hours...no problems....I also use amzoil interceptor oil......you will use much less oil on auto mix verses pre-mix.....but pre mix does make sure the oil is getting into the motor...pre mix at 40 to 1 is the ratio needed for full throttle...idle and slow speeds need less. if you think the gpr is unstable you should ride some of the older ski's....you have a good platform for your first ski..enjoy

go with peace of mind and do pre-mix

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jason999 View Post
    I'm not really worried if someone passes me. I've never had a jet ski, and the GP seems very fast to me. I just bought it to play around with and enjoy. I was surprised that it was so unstable when still or at very low speeds. It's no big deal, but I didn't expect it. I was also surprised how dangerously fast the thing turns!

So is oil pump failure common, or is line failure more common? The oil lines coming off is much more common. I have only heard of 1 or 2 failing. Where and why do the lines fail and why cant they be secured? The lines come off at the nipples on the carbs. There are some who have made special clamps but why risk it.Another question, if I follow the directions at cajundude's site and use the block off, is there any reason that I can't use my old parts and go back to auto mix, if I get ready to sale?Yes, save all your parts and you can put it back.

Thanks!!
    Do the full pre-mix change and don't worry about it.
    As for other mods, intake grate, d plate, & PV clips are all you really need. Do watch for the throttle sticking. There have been several that the "throttle pick up wheel", if I said it correctly, have started to stick causing the throttle to stay open and can be very dangerous. You have to pull the carbs to have this repaired, Osidebill can get you fixed up if this happens.
    If you start to mod for speed, then I would look at the pump tunnel reinforcement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information