Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 2003 GP1300R Shoe Bolts Broken Loose

All,

Does anyone have a good idea on how to fix this. I went to look at the prop, and noticed the intake grate looked like someone sandblasted it with great big rocks. I just bought this ski, apparently I should have looked a little closer, only 45 hours, and it looks like it has 500 on it. The prop is junk, the intake grate is junk, and the shoe bolts are busted loose in the fiberglass. I have read a bunch of post regarding a recall. I assume this would not qualify. I attached some pics, just looking for a way to fix this ski correctly.

+1
    you can order a pump shoe insert kit from the online store thats made by R&D to help address that issue. How much of the bolt is sticking out? Can you grab it in any way? IMO its best to remove the bolts for the shoe, take the shoe out and hit it with an air hammer to break up some of the loctite/corrosion that is preventing you from just wrenching them out. Next time you really should try an impact wrench of some sort because the shock takes a lot of stress off of the bolts and your less likely to snap them as you did.

That first idea was under the assumption that you can get a set of pliers or something around the bolt to grip and twist as someone is using an air hammer and heat lightly...tiny strokes mind you.

Second idea would be drilling the bolt out and trying your luck with an ez-out which is available at a ton of retailers (lowes, home depot, autozone etc)...drill hole per instructions, screw in ez-out...cross fingers (heat and small impacts from air hammer would also help)

If that doesnt work then you had to remove your rear battery box, the exhaust system and basically anything in the way of that pump tunnel to get to the side or sides that have the broken bolts in them. Remove them with good ole' elbow grease and install new ones with 5200 sealant. Also while your at it reinforce your pump tunnel with fiberglass + resin.

On a side note...

your prop looks like hell. The dings it has appear to make it work against itself on the leading edge. Send it into IMPROS or invest in a new stock prop. If you have the upgraded pump I have some stockers that are in near perfect condition somewhere in my house I'll give you a great deal on.

Edit: I got lazy and only read the subject line...

Pick up some layers of fiberglass sheeting... if you google "west systems" it will come up with a hit from "johnston suppliers" or something close to that name. You should invest in some 105 resin, 206 hardener and maybe some filler. They also sell all types of glass and carbon fiber if thats the route you wanna go. You can call them and someone will give you their recommendations on the type of mat which will work best. But remove exhaust as I said in earlier post...take the pump shoe inserts off the ski...clean area with DA (get any glue and garbage out of the way and then wipe with denatured alcohol or acetone...wear a breathing apparatus plz)...start laying sheets of fiberglass/resin...drill new holes from bottom of ski (pilots) through pump shoe bolt holes as you hold it in place by hand. Any exterior issues just hit with resin, hardener and filler and then sand it out.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Get rid of the stock grate before you kill yourself and buy an aftermarket one.

Yeah I know the prop is junk, that's why i decided to look at the rest of the bottom, I stuck it up on my car hoist, and notices the shoe is busted loose from the hull. I wonder if Yamaha will cover this issue as part of their recall?
    Definitely looking to replace the prop as well as the intake grate.
    I am having second thoughts about keeping this ski, but I will fix it right before I sell it to someone else. They don't need this headache.
    I bought it to see how it compares to my RXP. I have always been a Yamaha guy, but those RXP's are pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Get rid of the stock grate before you kill yourself and buy an aftermarket one.
    Yeah, this one is definitely junk, I will call you on Monday and see what you have avail.
    Where we live, we ride mostly on lakes and rivers, so not a ton of time to go all out, but i like to have a good time, and don't want problems.
    Thanks

+1
    I read the "comparing" to RXP statement...

I'm going to be pretty blunt here...

if you go to seadoo section of the forums you will notice a ton of "help my seadoo shit the bed posts"...

when you are in the yamaha sections you might see one yamaha problem for every 20 to 30 seadoo problems...and the yamaha generated ones arent from parts failing generally...they come from lack of knowledge.

Its not that big of a fix to get that ski up and running properly...and with a few simple mods you not only will have a ski nearly as fast if not faster than most of the newer RXPs...you'll have a ski that to this day has one of the best if not the best hull designs on the market.

I've had seadoos, kawis, and even polaris skis...none of them compared to my yamaha when you factor every little thing in...handling, speed, longevity etc.

You were just taken advantage of by an asswipe who sold the ski...just patch it up and enjoy yourself bro. if you still want to sell it I might be able to find someone in my area who will take it off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    I read the "comparing" to RXP statement...

I'm going to be pretty blunt here...

if you go to seadoo section of the forums you will notice a ton of "help my seadoo shit the bed posts"...

when you are in the yamaha sections you might see one yamaha problem for every 20 to 30 seadoo problems...and the yamaha generated ones arent from parts failing generally...they come from lack of knowledge.

Its not that big of a fix to get that ski up and running properly...and with a few simple mods you not only will have a ski nearly as fast if not faster than most of the newer RXPs...you'll have a ski that to this day has one of the best if not the best hull designs on the market.

I've had seadoos, kawis, and even polaris skis...none of them compared to my yamaha when you factor every little thing in...handling, speed, longevity etc.

You were just taken advantage of by an asswipe who sold the ski...just patch it up and enjoy yourself bro. if you still want to sell it I might be able to find someone in my area who will take it off your hands.
    Yeah I have had a bunch of different ski's over the years, I have had a couple of 1200's and they both cavitated real bad out of the hole. The RXP seems to hook harder than any ski I have had, but you are correct when you say they come with their own unique set of problems.
    I partially blame myself for not looking the ski over real well on the botom, just saw the hours, and looked in the hull, and it is clean, was late at night, took it home, looked underneath, and was floored at how beat up it is, this knuckle head must have ran it ashore on a rocky beach everytime he rode it.
    I love Yamaha's realiability, never been stranded (Knock on wood). Also the only snowmobile I will ever own....
    The only thing SeaDoo seems to have on Yamaha in the Jet Ski market is the reverse mechanism on the RXP, and for that matter all their ski's. It is on the left side so you can operate it and the trottle. Yamaha has in on the right, kind of cumbersome. Although Yamaha's trim is a way better design, no stupid trim motors to break.
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to check with Yamaha to see if they will do anything about the shoe bolts, if not, I will tear it apart myself and fix it. It looks like the tunnel stiffner should be done at the same time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman11K View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to check with Yamaha to see if they will do anything about the shoe bolts, if not, I will tear it apart myself and fix it. It looks like the tunnel stiffner should be done at the same time.
    Your on the right path. Check with your dealer first.

If you do it yourself its not that bad. The shoe bolts will come out when you keep the inserts from spinning w/ vice grips.

Absolutely do the tunnel reinforce at the same time.

+1
    That ski has eaten more rocks than a dinosaur on the Flintstones.
    -How does the wear ring and pump stator look?

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    That ski has eaten more rocks than a dinosaur on the Flintstones.
    -How does the wear ring and pump stator look?
    You aint kiding there......
    Wear ring looks OK, but a person really should measure it. I think I will put a prop in and fix/seal the shoe / replace the intake grate and see what I have.
    What part are you referring to when you say the stator?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information