Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick battery question

Battery went dead over winter storage on my RXT. Assumed based on nothing after DESS is installed. I put the charger on it and it went into desulfation mode but I disconnected it right away as I didn't want to have gasses in the hull. I hooked the charger back up on the bench and it didn't go inot desulfation mode now and I let it charge for like 15 minutes. I put it back in the ski and now the DESS powers up but nothing when I hit start. Reading here, I'm thinking I have to charge battery better. Its showing 12.73 volts but now when I put it back on the charger it indicates that its charged and goes into "maintain/trickle" mode. Should I just assume that this battery is JUNK? Its original in a 2005, guess I'll be pulling over winter in the future, lesson learned?

+1
    My vote would be junk.

OBJ

a good "intelicharger" can bring back a battery that is almost gone but you need to let it sit on the charger for 24hrs or so

it can't work miracles but i have brought back motorcycle batteries after a long winter and gotten another season out of them

It's probably gone. Ski's eat batteries if not placed on a maintenance charger. Not sure where it goes, I have a Harley with a theft system that never goes dead.

Batteries, the way to test it. if this is an OEM batt. make sure the fluid level is in good level. Charge battery at slow charge 2 amps. after it reached full charge, disconnect it from charger and measure the voltage with a volt meter. it should read 12.+ volts. Now wait 30 min.....measure the volts again....if it went down under 12 volts.....it's junk. BUT a 12 volt battery can act up like a good battery until they are subjected to "Cranking" amps power meaning a battery can act like it's good but when it comes to deliver power......Boom Ba Ra bing No Go

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

leaving it connected

means it has more sulfate then a meth lab..the dess system draws a little current and that's enough to nuke any battery over the winter..but you;'ll die if you bleed .5 oz a day for a couple of months straight.

buy a new one and get out there a ride

Thanks guys! Picked up a battery from the dealer yesterday and its on the new BatteryMinder charger hopefully that's all it is and the weekend is looking up!! The batteries will be staying in the house next year and topped off with the trickle charger every so often.

Anyone know the battery number. I need one for my 2005 RXT.
    Mine is not holding a change and not going to chance it.

Thanks

278001882 / $123.99

Generically speaking, its a YUASA YB30CLB

Hi Guys,

My 07's didn't really have the strong cranking that they did when new. So after doing some homework as well as speaking to my mechanic in Cayman we decided to go with the ODYSSEY 925L and also with the Hella waterproof battery switch P/N 87181 to solve the slow drain Sea Doo issue. They came out excellent and the 925 cranking amps really jumps them off strong.

Since I'm no expert by any means I found the below article educational regarding the slight drain Sea Doo left us with. Seems real simple to solve with the battery key which stops that and also adds another small layer of additional security to start the engines. (see below). If I could figure out how to post I would post a picture of the set up. Advise welcome.

Take care,
    ScottyJ

07 RXT/RXP

Sea-Doo® personal watercrafts tend to transfer an electrical load to the battery while in storage. Be confident that your ODYSSEY® battery can handle it. However, if not properly maintained, you may not get the top performance from your ODYSSEY battery. Read on to ensure your ODYSSEY battery is at its best at all times.
    Issue – This brand of watercraft experiences an electrical load on the battery during storage, caused by a control module monitoring the lanyard socket. If the lanyard is left installed the electrical drain is 18 ma after 10 minutes of shutting down the engine. If the lanyard is removed, the electrical drain is 7 ma. These electrical loads are continuous and can accumulate to be significant over time. At 18 milli amps, the battery will lose 1 amp/hour of capacity in 55.5 hours or 10 amp/hours (Ah) in 23 days. On a PC 625, 10 Ah is 59% of battery capacity.
    Solution – for Sea Doo watercraft always disconnect the lanyard from its socket when not riding the watercraft. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery when the watercraft will not be used for 3 weeks or more. A simplified method of disconnect is to install Hella Products P/N 87181 waterproof battery switch. Check your ODYSSEY battery voltage periodically for full charge, which is 12.84V. Recharge whenever below 12.65V.
    Warranty - ODYSSEY batteries that are deeply discharged and not fully recharged or batteries that are stored with an electrical load applied with a resultant loss in delivered capacity are not covered by the
    Sea-Doo® personal watercrafts tend to transfer an electrical load to the battery while in storage. Be confident that your ODYSSEY® battery can handle it. However, if not properly maintained, you may not get the top performance from your ODYSSEY battery. Read on to ensure your ODYSSEY battery is at its best at all times.
    Issue – This brand of watercraft experiences an electrical load on the battery during storage, caused by a control module monitoring the lanyard socket. If the lanyard is left installed the electrical drain is 18 ma after 10 minutes of shutting down the engine. If the lanyard is removed, the electrical drain is 7 ma. These electrical loads are continuous and can accumulate to be significant over time. At 18 milli amps, the battery will lose 1 amp/hour of capacity in 55.5 hours or 10 amp/hours (Ah) in 23 days. On a PC 625, 10 Ah is 59% of battery capacity.
    Solution – for Sea Doo watercraft always disconnect the lanyard from its socket when not riding the watercraft. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery when the watercraft will not be used for 3 weeks or more. A simplified method of disconnect is to install Hella Products P/N 87181 waterproof battery switch. Check your ODYSSEY battery voltage periodically for full charge, which is 12.84V. Recharge whenever below 12.65V.
    Warranty - ODYSSEY batteries that are deeply discharged and not fully recharged or batteries that are stored with an electrical load applied with a resultant loss in delivered capacity are not covered by the
    Last edited by scottyj; 06-17-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information