Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb 2000 genesis rpm question

this is the same ski i have been working on for over a year.took it to the local water hole today to make sure everything was ok with it and the old doo.the doo is the one i was really checking but i went and started the genesis,it iddled fine at 1200 for about 30 -45 seconds and then went up to 3600 in the water. thought what the hell , killed it and tried it again this happened three more times.this has never been an issue. any ideas? ffi genesis 2000 boat reads 471 hours.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would start with the TPS. Unplug the TPS, and start the engine. It should idle properly, and it should not change engine speed.

A new TPS is about $100, and I recommend you get a new one, not another old style one like you have on there now. Even if the TPS is not causing the problem right now (but I suspect it is), it is a good thing to have a spare TPS on hand.

BTW, we now have the 2000 Poalris service manuals available

Smile question

kinda what i was thinking i will head out after dinner and check it out .thanks for the reply.

tps

ok went out and tried to start the ski with the tps disconnected, would not start.plugged it back in and it started, pulled when running stayed running.i dont know if this problem has anything to do with the problem i started out with . my reverse isnt working so i push the bilge button and reverse to make the reverse work,works forward and reverse that way.that is when the rpm started going up. dont know why.will the ski start with the tps disconnected?

question

anyone? also i take it the carb model doesnt have a tps sensor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drwebb69 View Post
    anyone? also i take it the carb model doesnt have a tps sensor?
    Only fuel injected engines have a TPS sensor.

...tried to start the ski with the tps disconnected, would not start.

plugged it back in and it started, pulled when running stayed running.

i dont know if this problem has anything to do with the problem i started out with . my reverse isnt working so i push the bilge button and reverse to make the reverse work,works forward and reverse that way.that is when the rpm started going up. dont know why.will the ski start with the tps disconnected?
    For the Reverse problem, I suspect your bilge pump is also not running unless you hold the bilge button on.

Check the Orange wiring in the Electrical box. When the engine is rotating (cranking or running) there should be 12 volts on the Orange wires.

I suspect you will find zero, or near zero, volts on the Orange wire when the engine is running. The LR-503 voltage regulator module is the one that controls the Orange wire, and it will need to be replaced.

When you started the engine, then unplugged the TPS, was the idle RPM now stable?

question

correct on the bilge it is only on when i push the button. i think it has always been that way . i checked the orange wires in the electric box and believe it or not it was getting 11.45 - 12.volts while turning over. did not run too long it is not in the water. i will retry the orange wires tomorrow.
    and for the tps and steady idle yes but i only ran it for a few sec. shouldnt it start with tps unplugged?

+1
    ... shouldn't it start with TPS unplugged?
    I would expect it to start with the TPS unplugged, but sometimes these things don't respond exactly they way one expects

+1
    correct on the bilge it is only on when i push the button. i think it has always been that way .

I checked the orange wires in the electric box and believe it or not it was getting 11.45 - 12.volts while turning over. did not run too long it is not in the water. i will retry the orange wires tomorrow...
    Make sure all the Orange wires are actually connected to the correct terminals.

Also check or replace the 3 Amp bilge pump fuse in there.

All the bilge pump button does is force feed 12 volts to the Orange wires, by-passing the LR module.

Engine off, bilge button pressed, should have the exact same results on the Orange wiring as engine running, bilge button not pressed.

question

ok i will recheck the orange wires and the 3 amp fuse . will post results

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information