What should I offer?

I'm looking at buying a 2004 Yamaha GP1300R from someone I know. I'd say that its been taken to a yamaha dealer for regular maintenance but it's got a few bruises. The front of the hull has some semi-cosmetic damage and the center console (don't know what else to call it) is missing and will need replacement. The title is clean.

How much should I offer? Considering he'll probably take any reasonable offer, I don't want to offend him by shooting way too low. BUT I'm not familiar with the track record of issues that comes with this PWC so any input you can give is highly appreciated. It's only been operated in fresh water.

ALSO, if I do buy it, what mods or problem fixes should I do? I'm not competition skier. I just want reliable service and enjoyment from the ski.

A link to the slideshow is: here

The front of the hull is damaged worse than I thought.

Please let me know how much I should offer. I'm putting a charge on the battery now so I can check the hours on the instrument panel.

Thanks for your input.

find out the hours and start looking around the internet at ski's that are comparable, then deduct what you thinkis fair for the hull damage

+1
    I always use NADA as a guide and try to buy it lower than low retail so you dont lose too much when you try to resel it down the road. Always shoot lower than you want to really spend. You can always come up in your price but you cant go back down. You want to feel comforatable with your purchase. If it were me I would probably offer $3,000. The hull damage will probably be about $300 - $500 as a guess then it looks like you need to freshen it up. Also do a compression test, take it for a ride if you can.

Low Retail $4,070 Average Retail $4,700

Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    I always use NADA as a guide and try to buy it lower than low retail so you dont lose too much when you try to resel it down the road. Always shoot lower than you want to really spend. You can always come up in your price but you cant go back down. You want to feel comforatable with your purchase. If it were me I would probably offer $3,000. The hull damage will probably be about $300 - $500 as a guess then it looks like you need to freshen it up. Also do a compression test, take it for a ride if you can.

Low Retail $4,070 Average Retail $4,700
    I just bought a ski, and I couldn't find anything around here for a price close to low retail. After seeing cheaper prices in FL, etc, I assumed that ski's sell for more where there is no salt water. Maybe true or not....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jason999 View Post
    I just bought a ski, and I couldn't find anything around here for a price close to low retail. After seeing cheaper prices in FL, etc, I assumed that ski's sell for more where there is no salt water. Maybe true or not....

Maybe there are just more of them and everyone competes with one another to sell thiers? The salt doesnt hurth the skis if they are taken care of. I am sure there still is a difference but all the skis I have purchased were well cared for and I still bought them for under low retails from standups to curent skis. You do have to keep an eye out for a deal and jump on it. Plus they will ask for more than they want. You just have to negotiate leaving as little money on the table as possible. Dont get me wrong, there was a deal where the guy wouldnt budge and I bought it anyway. Hey I liked the ski - it was a Kawi 650SX.

Thread Information