Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Genesis I not starting

Hi guys,

I just bought a 2001 Genesis I. It does not turn over. I do have power to the solonoid and it is 12v. I just charged the battery as well. The bilge pump works as does the mfd. I have another Genesis that is carbed so I can have test parts available. Any suggestions of what to test for first. When I press the start button , I do not get 12v on the opposite side.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does the solenoid click when you press the start button?

If yes, then the solenoid may have failed. If it has a black plastic body, they are known to fail. The newer version has a light brown body, and is more reliable.

When you short the two heavy terminals on the solenoid together, does the engine crank? There will be sparking, so use a firm hand to miminize the sparks.

I seem to hear a slight click but not the powerful click as if the starter wasn't engaging

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jukican View Post
    I seem to hear a slight click but not the powerful click as if the starter wasn't engaging
    Test the battery voltage with a multi-meter. Put the meter probes right on the battery posts.

When you press the start button, does the voltage stay over 10.5 volts?

If not, the battery is bad.

If battery is good, then remove and clean both ends of both battery cables - all four ends. Pay special attention to the engine ground connection at the engine block.

Voltage remains at 12.4, slight drop when start button depressed, removed terminals and cleaned as well as the block, have not done the starter yet. Can the solonoid be jumped?

starter

are you sure the motor isnt locked up? if it isnt you might pull the starter and check it. make sure you have good grounds also .

solenoid

yes you can cross the solenoid but make sure you do it solidly because it will cause a spark.try it and let us know

The motor is not locked....when I cross the solonoid your right it sparks but the engine also turns over... I didn't keep it turning over, just to make sure the starter is functioning......Solonoid or starter switch...I have a 99 I can borrow parts from...

OK I swapped the solonoid from my 99 Genesis. Now it turns over.....I can hear clicking from the injectors as well, what should I do next to prepare to try and start it.....

So, I tried to start it....and it did!!! When I bought the ski, the guy told me it didn't run, the computer was out, but with the ski. He took the ski in payment for another boat. He said he didn't have time to mess with it. I purchased a computer and injectors for it because he thought thats what was wrong with it....Well, when it started, it smoked alot so I shut it down. I don't have any experience with the FFI. Should I put it in the water to see what happens??? When I gave it a small shot of fuel, the rpm's increased and stayed high. I don't want to mess with it until I get it in water. Any suggestions now would be appreciated.\

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information