Simple boost questions for R-12X. Max and "limp mode"

Hey everyone,

Just figured asking would be the fastest method to figure out what I need to know rather then start testing.

What is basically the max stock boost for an R-12X and at what boost value does the ECU go into "safe" or "limp home" mode?

Thanks

Quite a few people have read this and no one knows the answer? Im a bit suprised...

This should be a pretty straight forward question. My 05 does not boost the same as my 06 when setup stock.

What should be the normal stock boost level, and at what boost level should it hit limp mode at?

Thanks

You may have to read some of Nitro or SuperJim's posts. Superjim uses dual manual bleeder valves - so if you can find his setup instructions you'll know exactly what the case is.
    I just put a boost gauge on a stock 02. It boosts 12-13psi stock.

There are two MAP sensors on these skis, which is a very odd configuration in my opinion... Great for working around overboost and still staying in-line with the fuel map though..

Well that's the thing. Some say stock boost should be 11 psi and boost cut at 13 psi. However one of my ski's stock boost is 13 psi all day. SO Im just trying to figure out what the norm is. There must be a set value that the ECU goes limp at.

Boost is going to vary due to air density/pressure, especially on a machine that has an electronic WG by-pass (actuator solenoid) - expect 2 psi or so variation.

I don't know the answer to your question - maybe PM superjim.

I understand the fluctuation and boost variances due to a lot of reasons. I build turbo charged race cars for a living. However I do not know the exact PSI the ECU needs to see before it hits the limp mode.

We are riding at high altitude here, our lakes are anywhere from 5400' to 8600' so it's a whole different ball game.

Ill try PM'ing Jim as well, but a lot of people I would think should know the answer to this.

Quote Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
    I understand the fluctuation and boost variances due to a lot of reasons. I build turbo charged race cars for a living. However I do not know the exact PSI the ECU needs to see before it hits the limp mode.

We are riding at high altitude here, our lakes are anywhere from 5400' to 8600' so it's a whole different ball game.

Ill try PM'ing Jim as well, but a lot of people I would think should know the answer to this.
    Well, the Macsboost module raises the boost by 2-3PSI from memory, so you should be right to go up to bout 16 or 17 PSI. I'm sure I read a post somewhere by Mac stating that around 17PSI was the ECU's hard limit before it has a sook. Unfortunately, at high boost, the stock R/F-12X intercooler suffers from heatsoak very quick. In normal temp water, you generally only get a full throttle/boost run up to about a minute before pinging starts and the ECU drops the boost level down.

What's a sook?

Im running Water/Methanol injection because intercooler heat soak is a joke. Not supposed to rhyme...

IF you cant keep it pinned for more then say a minute racing across the lake that isnt very functional.

From what I gather the boost cut is around 13 or 14 psi. Stock is around 10-11psi. With water/meth injection and the right tweaks 17 -19 psi should hold stable with no issues.

Will report back in my water/meth thread after testing this weekend.

+1
    From what I have discerned: The stock boost is apx 12.3 PSI and the overboost limit is around 14-15.

Thread Information