Need picture and location of computer on 2004 Polaris Virage II 800

I am requesting this for an out of town friend. Their computer on their Polaris Virage II 800 is suspect to be bad.

They were told this by a Louisana dealer that said they did not have the equip. To check the computer BUT could replace the computer that costs around $1200. No guarantees that this would fix the problem.

My question is can someone email me the location of a picture of this computer as well as what it takes to take it out???

Also does anyone have any recommendations on who to send it to for verification that it is bad and who can repair it???

Any info and help is appreciated...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow How to remove a Ficht fuel injection EMM computer module from the hull

Welcome to the Hulk

Normally, there are some checks and tests that we would suggest before sending the EMM computer out for repair.

I recommend your friend also join this forum, as some issues and questions are more easily answered directly, rather than through an intermediary.

First let me point you to some technical resources that may be useful.

Click here for the Polaris Service Manuals.
    The 2003 manual would also apply to the 2004 Virage i.

Click here for the Polaris Industries parts diagrams.

Click here for lots of useful Polaris PWC related information.

At the moment, there is only one company that services the actual EMM. That company is DFI Technologies.
    You can find their contact info here.

Phone DFI before sending the EMM in. If they do not find anything wrong, I think their charge is nominal.

When others have sent in their EMM, the cost has varied from $300 to $700, depending on what the repair involved.

Record the serial numbers from each injector, and which cylinder, and send that info with the EMM. DFI can verify that the injectors are properly matched to the EMM by the serial numbers.

The EMM in the 2004 Virage i could be in a couple of locations. One location is under the steering, and the other is in the rear area of the hull.

On the 2004 Virage I, I suspect the EMM is mounted near the battery, in the rear area of the hull.

Attached are some pictures of what the EMM looks like. These are from a 2002 Virage TXi with the EMM mounting under the steering, above the fuel tank.

If it is mounted under the steering, you get at it by removing the front storage bucket. There will be two small connectors plugged into the EMM on one end, and a large connector plugged in on the other end.

The small connectors are unplugged by pressing in the tabs on each side, and wiggling the connector out.

The large connector has a bolt in the center. The bolt must be unscrewed until it is loose (it will not come all the way out), then the big connector can be unplugged. The screw is a hex socket type, wrench size is 4mm, or 5/32".

The tricky part is that you can not see the big connector, or the screw in the middle of it, while the EMM is mounted in the hull
    And the metal edges of the EMM bracket are sharp

You do this blind, mostly by feel. I dropped the allen wrench several times before I got my own EMM out the first time. And lost one allen wrench under the fuel tank for a couple of months

There are also two small water cooling hoses, one on each side. Grip the clamps with pliers, and slide the clamps back and inch or two, then wiggle the hoses off the EMM hose barbs.

Finally, you loosen or remove the mounting bolt that is holding the EMM in place. Once the front bolt is out, you can wiggle and slide the EMM out.

Tag or label the cooling hoses, and make note of how the cables and hoses were routed before work began.

You may also need to shift the large vent tubes out of the way, just put them back in roughly the same place they were before. The ends of the vent tubes need to be near the bottom of the hull, but it is not critical exactly where in the hull they end up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7280671.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	136920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7280673.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	136925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7280674.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	136926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7280658.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	136927   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7280667.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	136928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7280622.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	976.2 KB 
ID:	136929  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7280623.JPG 
Views:	284 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	136930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7280633.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	136931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7280634.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	136932  
    Last edited by K447; 01-27-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    2004 Virage i EMM mounting bracket.

If there is an opportunity to show us some clear photos of the actual EMM mounting in your friend's Virage I, that might be useful for future reference on here by others
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9047%5C9047B08.gif 
Views:	586 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	136934  

Thanks for the help!!

If my future sister in law brings it to me I will chime in on pics and exact info it took to complete the job... I really appreciate your help...

2002 Virage i won't start

These posts are very helpful! I'll be sending my emm to DFI as soon as I can get it out. Can you tell me where to find the serial numbers for the injectors? Also, how are the cylinders numbered? Thanks

+1
    Love this post. My EMM is missing and the bracket is loose. Now I know it is mounted. Thanks again!!

Thread Information