Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 polaris 1200 TXI

Hey all, looking for some advice. My Polaris 1200 Virage TXI has 118 hrs with new plugs fresh fuel and good charging system. I spent a day on Lake Shasta, CA, water temp-68 F and outside air temp-98 F @ 1000 feet el. In the morning on first start-up machine was hard to start and felt like a slight miss fire. I rode hard for about 10 min and all seemed normal. Starting after warm was fine. Most of the day it rode fine with a stock top speed of 62 MPH registered, although the idle was a bit rough still. At the end of the day I noticed the speedometer was at 0 when I was at full and no red light or display was observed. I slowed down to idle and put in reverse then forward and observed a speed of about 20 MPH when according to RPM I should have seen about 40 MPH. I stopped the ski and checked for possible screen clog and their wasn't any noticeable clog. Then started machine and everything was functional. On my way back after several minutes at W.O.T. I noticed a steady decline in performance. I went from 62 MPH to 55 MPH to 50 MPH to 45MPH to 40 MPH to 35 MPH over about 20 minutes all at W.O.T. and at 35 MPH I had several engine cuts for a second and then power was back and I almost couldn't make it back to the dock. When I restarted at the dock to load on trailer it started fine but stalled twice. A mystery, is their anyone that has experienced the same problem or is familiar with this? Thank you for any advice.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

The speedometer works from a pitot fin just inside the jet pump intake grate. It detects water pressure, and calculates the forward speed from the pressure.

If you get something covering or clogging the little hole, the indicated speed will be incorrect. Often, all you need to do is stop the engine (not reverse), and wait a moment for the debris to float away. A little side to side sloshing doesn't hurt.

The engine problem may be more serious.

With any 2-stroke PWC, do not ride it hard when the engine is not operating properly. You risk engine damage from insifficient fuel delivery to the cylinders.

First check or replace the spark plugs. These Ficht engines reuire a specific spark plug, no substitutes. NGK PZFR6H.

Next confirm you have proper fuel pressure. This is measured at the schrader valve in the return fuel line, using a fuel pressure gauge. As soon as the engine starts cranking or running, fuel pressure should be over 20PSI.

If fuel pressure is good, next check is injector voltage. Connect a multi-meter to the White/Red wires, and with all still injectors plugged in, watch the voltage. While the engine is cranking, injector voltage should be over 20 volts. As soon as the engine starts, it should jump to 40 volts or higher.

Let us know what you find, and we can go from there.

BTW, click my signature for more useful information.

2001 polaris virage 1200 TXI

K447,

Thank you for your quick response, plugs are OEM from my polaris dealer, so that one is covered. The electrical and fuel pressure I'll check this evening, thank you for the specs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTsmith6 View Post
    ...plugs are OEM from my Polaris dealer, so that one is covered...
    Check the numbers on each of the plugs - mistakes happen

polaris virage 1200 TXI

K447-

Your right, I pulled my plugs and they are: NGK (R) PZFR6H, with about 12 hr on them. also I took a picture of them and right to left in picture is 1, 2, and 3. oil wet on all and carbonized but no over heat signs on them or motor.

I attached my Fluke to get a read for start and run on the coils and had no voltage read along with no attempt of starter to turn over. The bat is on a tender and in my garage kept at proper voltage and is less than 1 yr old with good voltage recovery.

My display comes on and resets every attempt at a start, also just in case I jiggled the lanyard switch.

I'm dead in the water here (pun intended) and could not get a fuel pressure read.

The mystery continues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	june 15 2008 015.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	137111  

polaris virage 1200 TXI

K447-

Also when trying a read on the white w/red wires on the injectors of course no read, motor does not turn over. I had a read of .475 volts on the purple wire.

What could I try next? I do remember last year I was ready to launch and I had started it fine before leaving the house and on the ramp I tried to start out of a gut feeling, and it was dead. instrument cluster was on but no power to the coils. I do have an appropriate spark board so as to not harm the stater. I used my stand up ski for about an hour and on a whim tried to start the polaris and it started right up, worked fine for a while and then felt like it had water in the fuel and I put it up for the day. I've run it fine since except for a hard cold start problem. The gremlins in this are bad, must be something simple. Again thank you for your input, this is the first polaris I've ever owned and a DI at that. I'm used to Kawasaki and their quarks.

+1
    ...My display comes on and resets every attempt at a start...
    What do you mean the display 'resets"?

Does it go blank when you try to crank?

If the MFI display is 'sleeping' (more than five minutes with no activity), then when it first sees any 'activity' (button press, engine crank), it will 'wake up'.

The speedo needle does a full dial sweep and back to zero, and the LCD lights up all segments, then says Ride Responsibly.

Once the MFI is awake, it should not do anything more when you crank the engine, just show RPM above 0000.

If the MFI display is going blank or resetting every time you press the start button, then there is a problem with the battery or battery cables.

Remove and clean both ends of both battery cables. Pay particular attention to the negative battery cable connection at the engine block. Make sure the bolt and block are clean metal and solid connection.

polaris virage 1200 TXI

K447-

Its obvious you know this machine, you described what the display does but, it goes blank and restarts every time I attempt to start it.

I checked the connections. very clean and tight. I noticed something strange, for the past 2 hr the display has not shut off on its own and the lanyard has been pulled out. I have not tried to start since my last communication, this is very strange, hard to make this stuff up, does this clue get me any closer, I know the machine is talking, but what is it saying?

+1
    ...but, it goes blank and restarts every time I attempt to start it.

I checked the connections. very clean and tight.
    Did you actually remove the battery cable end connections?
    You need to actually undo each connection, as sometimes it looks fine from the outside, but underneath and in between there is corrosion.

I noticed something strange, for the past 2 hr the display has not shut off on its own and the lanyard has been pulled out.

I have not tried to start since my last communication, this is very strange, hard to make this stuff up, does this clue get me any closer, I know the machine is talking, but what is it saying?
    I still think something s wrong with the battery or the battery cable connections.

The MFI display should never be blank.

The MFI has no connection with the lanyard. It only knows about the engine RPM signal, and any buttons you press on the MFI itself.

When it is sleeping, the MFI clock is still visible, and normally it says Unlocked across the bottom (unless you have locked it ).

Here is a video clip of what the MFI display should do when it wakes up. Once it is awake, it should not do anything when you crank the engine, other than show RPM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040473.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	137138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040475.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	137139  

polaris virage 1200 TXI

K447

I took the battery out and had it tested, It's good. With all connections cleaned I put it back together and made an attempt to turn motor over again with my portable power station attached to the battery side of solenoid hot and got the solenoid to click (it was a rapid click not just power on click but many) and the battery drew down to 4 volts. Its as if the starter has been sucking the life out of my battery. Are we getting closer do you think? engine is not seized because after the 2 hr drive home before I put my skis in the garage I start them briefly to make sure I got the water out and it ran.
    The draw down in power on the lake resembled a time on my stand up when I ran it out of power (battery, stater was out). Do these starters short inside and cause a steady draw down in power?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information