Please send help s.o.s.

I have a 2004 virage i . It has no fire or fuel but was running fine when it was stored last winter . It has new plugs and new battery . I bought a manual and it tells me i need software and a laptop . IS THERE ANY SHORTCUTS WITHOUT THESE THINGS ? I really don't need or want to spend that kind of money .

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

There is quite a lot you can do without the computerized diagnostics!

I don't know what manual you bought, but we will be referring to the Polaris Service Manual, which can be found here.

You say the battery is new, but it may still not be good. Put a multi-meter on the battery posts, and check what the voltage is while the engine is cranking. It should be 11.0 volts or higher, if the battery really is good.

If the battery is good, next check is to remove and clean both ends of both battery cables.

Pay special attention to the engine block end of the battery negative cable. The block must be clean, with solid metal to metal contact between the block and the cable. The bolt should also be clean.

If still not start, check for fuel pressure at the schrader valve in the return fuel line. The fuel pressure should jump to 20+PSI as soon as the engine starts cranking.

If fuel pressure is good, next check is injector voltage. Connect a multi-meter to the White/Red wires, and with all still injectors plugged in, watch the voltage. While the engine is cranking, injector voltage should be over 20 volts. As soon as the engine starts, it should jump to 40 volts or higher.

Let us know what you find, and we can go from there.

BTW, click my signature for more useful information.

+1
    Ok i checked the battery. It had 12.78 volts and with the starter turning 11.56 .

And the cables are clean because i checked them with my test light which shows hot or ground.

And as far as fuel pressure goes i have none because the pump is not working at all . I checked it with light and there is no power to it .

Its just like there is a blown fuse or safety switch but the fuses have power and i haven't found a switch or relay . I just don't know .

By the way i have a Polaris manual but it doesn't help !!! Where do i look next ?
    Test light doesn't cut it for checking battery cables. Humor me and pull, clean, and re-tighten both ends of both cables. Takes maybe 20 minutes.

When you press the start button, what happens?

After sitting for more than five minutes, does the MFI display 'wake up' when you press start?

Remove each fuse, and check each fuse with an ohm-meter. Should be zero ohms.

There are two reset buttons near the battery. Are the buttons pressed in?

I cleaned the cables and ohmed them and they were grounded. When i press the start button the starter just turns and the mfi display doesn't have anything on it. It never has wake up showing. The fuses also check out good and i don't see any reset button anywere. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO CHECK NEXT.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by qwikki150 View Post
    ...When i press the start button the starter just turns and the mfi display doesn't have anything on it. It never has wake up showing.

The fuses also check out good and i don't see any reset button anywhere...
    Is the starter motor is just whirling away by itself, or the engine is actually cranking over, but not starting?

The Reset button will be somewhere near the battery. Little clear plastic dome with a white push button inside. You might have two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119896b.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	141759  

Thread Information