X45 1200 Inconsistent Starting

Hey guys - writing today about my x45. I finally got the skis out today and both ran great...not bad for 10 and 12 year old boats. The problem with the X-45 is that sometimes....just sometimes when you try to start it the starter just clicks. If you keep tapping the button it will start after 1 to several attemtps....

Click click click click click start.....next time..starts right up..next time...click click click start, lather rinse, repeat....

There's no rhyme/reason to when it does/doesn't start. Is this a sure sign of a bad starter, or could this be the solenoid, or something else possibly?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Could be the solenoid, or the starter.

I would start by removing and cleaning all the battery cable connections - both ends of both cables. And the starter cable (both ends if you can).

Next suspect would be the solenoid. This is easier to replace than the starter motor, so I would do that.

OK - so I figured 11:30 PM is just a good a time as any to do some quick troubleshooting and in my haste to post and wait for a response I didn't really do much....so I went out to the garage and jumped the solenoid and I couldn't get it to just 'click' - it would turn over with much force every time

I then tried the starter switch and first try (after several successful solenoid jumps) it was clicking. I saw some green stuff which looked to be corrosion (need a good light or daylight to really see for sure). I'm going to clean that up and see what happens.

Let me know if anyone has other thoughts....oh, and in case it's just a bad solenoid - where's the best place to pick on up? watcon?

Thanks,

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Thread Information