I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

Sound like crankshaft index?

After rebuilding my SL780, it never really ran well. I had bought my Pro so the SL has been on the back burner lately. Now that summer is in full swing, I really want to get it running again.

What happened was it sank while docked overnight and the motor ingested a lot of water. Even worse was at the time, there was a short in my starter button so it would intermittently try and start itself! Couple that with a sunk boat, and you can only imagine what happened...it tried to crank over while completely flooded. I rebuilt the engine, did a leak test and everything was fine.

The boat won't rev over 2500-3000 RPM. The carbs have been completely rebuilt, fuel lines replaced, and compression is about 115ish. When it is cranking, it sounds horrible...lots of clanking. More than I remember before it was rebuilt. Yesterday, I tried checking the index by bringing one of the cylinders to TDC and making sure the other two were at the same height. While I didn't have a dial caliper, I pretty much measured maybe 1/8" to 1/4" difference. I know the method I used isn't very accurate, but would that lead you to think it is my crankshaft?

If it is my crank, would it be cheaper to find a used one somewhere or send mine off to have it reindexed....OR could I do it myself? Hopefully someone knows a place here in Houston because I would image that would be one hefty hefty shipping charge!

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Here is a new buy it now crank for under $450 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...1%7C240%3A1318

+1
    That looks like a nice crank....BUT does it sound like the problem? Is that crank cheaper than having it reindexed?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    I have concerns about the noise you hear and the fact that the engine was submerged over night. That, coupled with the index prob, I think I'd go the new crank route.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    I have concerns about the noise you hear and the fact that the engine was submerged over night. That, coupled with the index prob, I think I'd go the new crank route.
    Funny story, it really wasn't submerged completely overnight...I was out on the back patio drinking when I noticed the ski was gone...so it was probably under the water for oh, two hours or so. I pulled it out and got all the water out, but never was able to restart it that night. That is why I rebuilt it. All the bearings spun without noise when I rebuilt the motor.

yup, new crank, bearings, probably do top end as well. At the very least, change the wrist pin bearings, if they're rusty. The clanking could be somewhere in the driveline as well.

+1
    It already has a new top end rebuild...The crank really was not rusty at all! I think the clanking when cranking just might be due to the crank being out of phase because it does it when the driveshaft isn't coupled....I just might buy that new crank, unless just getting mine reindexed would be a lot cheaper.

+1
    Got her fixed! I should have known it was this easy. I clipped the spark plug wires about half an inch or so, slid them back on and now she runs GREAT!

Only issue I have now is the starter bendix doesn't engage...only sometimes. I might try and open up the flywheel cover and squirt some lube in the bendix to see if it helps.

Thread Information