Quick question on Oil in the bilge

Is it at all normal to have a little oil in the bilge? Its a 96 SLX and it is running great. I just noticed that there was some oil in there. I wiped it out and later on that day a little more showed up? Not sure if i should be majorly concerned as i know 2 strokes are a little dirty as is...

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Normally there should be no oil dripping into the hull.

Clean the hull interior thoroughly, so you can see more clearly in there.

If you have not done so already, now would be a good time to replace all the oil hoses, and the fuel hoses, with new.

That will give you an opportunity to clean and check every oil fitting. On your 1996 SLX 780 Fuji engine, the oil pump is tucked under the carbs.

You can use a mirror or compact digital camera (set to close-up mode, flower icon) to see what it looks like down there.

Also replace the oil filter, and check for leaks around the oil tank fittings. Sometimes the oil level sender leaks around the hole in the top of the tank.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you have not done so already, now would be a good time to replace all the oil hoses, and the fuel hoses, with new.

That will give you an opportunity to clean and check every oil fitting. On your 1996 SLX 780 Fuji engine, the oil pump is tucked under the carbs.

Also replace the oil filter, and check for leaks around the oil tank fittings. Sometimes the oil level sender leaks around the hole in the top of the tank.
    Very good info. My SLT780 had a fresh reman engine in it when I bought it in 2004. The next season the center cylinder when kaboom. I later noticed a bunch of fresh oil in hull and finally found the oil line to that carb brittle and cracked. The shop that had installed the engine had simply re-used all the old lines.

You could possibly just have a bad gasket on the oil tank lid. But to completely safe you should do as K447 suggested and replace ALL oil lines. Be sure to purge all air out of the new lines and use some premix in the tank to be sure you're getting lube until pump is working up to snuff.

KJ

Thread Information