Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

94 SL750 no power

Hey guys, first of all, great forum. Been lurking on here for awhile and have had numerous tips and tricks to help me out with my polaris. My setup is a 96 sl780 hull with a 94 sl750 motor. I just bought this late last year and am just starting to get it ready. Some of the things I noticed that were mentionned in this forum that were done is triple outlet pump and new fuel lines.

This past weekend I put my polaris in the water to test it out. Starts and idles perfect. Picks up and goes fine but after half throttle it seems to hit a rev limiter. I've seen that some of these have a limp mode so I'm wondering if you guys think this is my problem?? 2 things that make me beleive that are the words "low fuel" and "hot" are flashing on my mfd. Please explain on how to bypass the low fuel and why is "hot" flashing?

Also, The trim seemed to be working fine at first but now seems to be stuck in the down position. What should I look for?

Thanks alot in advance, these sites are great for getting lots of usefull information!!

Andre

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Andre.

If it's a 780 hull, are you using the 780 elec box? Or the 750?

780 will have a limp mode, but the 750 will not. Low fuel low oil, or overheat will activate the limp mode and keep your RPM to 4200. Try disconnecting the gray or tan wire from the CDI box going to the circuit board. This will eliminate the limp mode.

CAUTION: Limp mode is there for a reason!!! This is only suggested as a test.

The overheat may be showing because the thermostat is stuck closed, the overheat sensor wire is disconnected, or you're actually overheating.

The trim motors do get rusty and sometimes will stick. You may need to remove it and clean/grease the gears and motor up internally.

I'm not very sure as to what electrical box was used but I still have the old 750 hull. From what I've read, it seems like it is going into limp mode. There is also a flashing red light in the top middle section of the mfd.

If I disconnect the gray wire, does it just disable the limp mode? Will I still be able to see low fuel, low oil and all that?

Where would the overheat sensor be located? I seem to remember a broken off sensor on a pipe but did not see any wires around that would connect.

Thanks again for your help!!

why do motors always fight me??!
    i wouldnt ride it if it says hot till u find out why and fix it....
    unhooking the grey wire just disables the fuel
    sensor i believe....if ur float is sunk check my post
    from a few days ago for a temporary fix......zimmmy

I sorta doubt that it is running hot as it displays "hot" as soon as it starts.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If your temp sensor isn't hooked up, it will read hot.

You should contact John Zigler at [email protected] and see if he has a sensor for you. Then you can get everything back the way it should be.

If the fuel float is sunk, you can get one of them from Watcon.com for around $26.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    If your temp sensor isn't hooked up, it will read hot.

You should contact John Zigler at [email protected] and see if he has a sensor for you. Then you can get everything back the way it should be.

If the fuel float is sunk, you can get one of them from Watcon.com for around $26.

Great, thanks for the info but where can I find the temp sensor? The one sensore that I've seen that looks broken is mounted on a tab on the exhaust. Is this it?

The temp sensor is screwed in to the rear inboard side of the water bar. The water bar is a single piece about 14 or so inches long and bolts on to the top of all three cylinders. It has a big "polaris" molded in to it. Oh yeah, on the outboard side is where you would hook up to run "on the hose"

OK, great, I'll have a look tonight. The sensor that seems to be broken is in that same are. To the left of the hook up to run "on the hose" but quickly looking last night seemed to be on part of the exhaust. I'll have to verify again.

As far as the gas gauge is concerned, I've read that I can wire a resistor in place to trick it. I may try this just to see if I can disable this limp mode and have it running 100%. What size resistor is needed? Is it wired in the electrical box or right on top of the float?

Thanks for all the input guys!!

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    A 33 ohm resistor will do the trick.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information