Registration Number Font?

Im going to be getting custom registration numbers made for my ski and I wanted it match my ski (red 2005 FXHO Cruiser). I was going to go with a silver color with black outlines to match the rest of the decals on the ski. The only thing I'm unsure of is what font to use. I was thinking of using the same font as "Yamaha" and "Waverunner" for a stock look, but was unsure of what font that is. Anyone know/have any suggestions?

Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kansasflareside View Post
    Im going to be getting custom registration numbers made for my ski and I wanted it match my ski (red 2005 FXHO Cruiser). I was going to go with a silver color with black outlines to match the rest of the decals on the ski. The only thing I'm unsure of is what font to use. I was thinking of using the same font as "Yamaha" and "Waverunner" for a stock look, but was unsure of what font that is. Anyone know/have any suggestions?
    Be aware that KS specifies that reg numbers must be "vertical block characters." Saw a guy get hassled by the WP at Clinton for having italic script letters. They didn't keep him off the water, but I believe he did get a citation.

Admittedly, they were so fancy-curly they were nearly impossible to make out.

I took a good look at the "WaveRunner" logo, and I'm going to say that that is not a specific typeface; it's a logotype. In other words, there is not a complete font of matching letters out there somewhere; it was designed specifically as a single piece of art to spell out that name. Looking at the "tail-less" double-story "a" and unequal stroke widths on the lowercase "u," "v" and "n," you aren't likely to find an exact match no matter how many fonts you look through. If you're going to go looking, you'd want check out extra black, extended, oblique versions of sans-serif fonts.

Here's the closest I could get: At bottom is a WaveRunner decal offered on the web. Above it is Univers Extra Black Oblique, kerned very tightly and then stretched horizontally 14%.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Univers-Extra-Black-Extended-Oblique.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	137086  

+1
    Use this website. The colors matched up perfect on my 2008 FXSHO Cruiser..Good luck.

http://www.hardlineproducts.com/Series500.html

Is that regulation the same in all states? I'm in NJ and found some cool fonts like old school gothic I'd like to use...Is that illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post
    Is that regulation the same in all states? I'm in NJ and found some cool fonts like old school gothic I'd like to use...Is that illegal?
    That sort of thing is state-by-state, but they are usually similar. I'd check with the NJ State Police Marine Services Unit:

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/maritime/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post
    I had a tribal style on my gpr. I never got a ticket for them, but i have had some water cops shake their heads when looking at them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0520071742a.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	137507  

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    I had a tribal style on my gpr. I never got a ticket for them, but i have had some water cops shake their heads when looking at them.
    In the end, it all comes down to what you can get away with...

I took a picture of the SUPERCHARGED logo on the hood and brought it to a local sign shop to copy. Came out pretty well, I even tweaked the design a bit on their computer to make it come out the way I wanted. Only cost 9 bucks for the pair.

Thread Information