Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Rampage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holland, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    2,932

    Sea-doo in pick-up bed?

    Hey guys, I have a 96 XP and we are going up north to Traverse City this weekend. We have a boat we are taking up and I also want to take up my ski. Heres the problem, my dad doesn't really want to take 2 trucks and a van, just the one truck with the boat on a trailer and my ski in the back of his bed. He has an 8 foot bed in his truck. What we plan to do is put a seadoo rack in the back of his truck and then put the seadoo on that (the rack isnt like a tall one, its like ground level). Have any of you ever done this and know of an easy way to get the ski back there? I know its not practical, but it will save a lot of gas not taking two trucks.


  2. #2
    beachbum0286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brigantine NJ
    Posts
    944
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 96 XP and we are going up north to Traverse City this weekend. We have a boat we are taking up and I also want to take up my ski. Heres the problem, my dad doesn't really want to take 2 trucks and a van, just the one truck with the boat on a trailer and my ski in the back of his bed. He has an 8 foot bed in his truck. What we plan to do is put a seadoo rack in the back of his truck and then put the seadoo on that (the rack isnt like a tall one, its like ground level). Have any of you ever done this and know of an easy way to get the ski back there? I know its not practical, but it will save a lot of gas not taking two trucks.
    I bought my RXPX in Michigan and I live just outside of Philadelphia. I didn't want to screw with a trailer so I put it in the back of a 6ft bed pick up, I just had to leave the tail gate down. I took the wheels off an aqua cart and strapped it in the back much like you are describing, you will be fine. Here's some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user54_pic764_1232139817.jpg 
Views:	1859 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	137084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user54_pic765_1232139817.jpg 
Views:	1146 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	137085  

  3. #3
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    I made a quick one. take your bunks off your trailer and go buy 2 6x6's. mount the bunks to the 6x6's and connect the 6x6's with a 2x4 on each end and volia! you have your ski on a rack in the back of the truck

  4. #4
    Rampage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holland, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    2,932
    we already have the bunks and stuff, its just a matter of getting it into the back of the truck, did you guys just back in the truck far enough to just power the ski on like you would do with a trailer? or did you guys just lift it on. I dont think my dad and I can lift the ski into the truck, plus, my dad just had surgery and he isnt supposed to lift more then 20 pounds lol.

    I think what my plan is, is just to back the truck in far enough that the bed is in the water, strap the back of the bunks to the bed so it wont move, and then just drive the seadoo on Im just worried about the seadoo slipping out when we take it up the ramp

  5. #5
    brad_720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    65
    Picturing my truck on a boat ramp... I'd be afraid to get water in the interior of my truck...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_720 View Post
    Picturing my truck on a boat ramp... I'd be afraid to get water in the interior of my truck...
    or sinking the truck...but at least you will have launched the ski.

  7. #7
    paulthepwner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle River, MD
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    I think what my plan is, is just to back the truck in far enough that the bed is in the water, strap the back of the bunks to the bed so it wont move, and then just drive the seadoo on Im just worried about the seadoo slipping out when we take it up the ramp
    When I picked up my 850 Pound RXT-X from the dealer, me, the salesman, and 2 of the techs lifted it from the rolling rack they had to my trailer. I don't know what an XP weighs, but from the size of it I'd guess it weighs less than 500 pounds. If you've got 3 fairly strong people you can probably back the truck onto the ramp, pick up the ski, and carry it into water. Just be careful not to slip.

  8. #8
    Rampage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holland, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    2,932
    getting the ski off wont be a problem, I meant the ski slipping off while taking it out of the water.

  9. #9

    When moving big boats we call it cribbing - 4x4's and a bottle jack or 2

    Jack it up (2 to 6 ton bottle jacks from Walmart or Harbor Freight), block it, start again

    Given the weight distribution of these machines, you can probably drive right under the front of dolly and push it on the rest of the way.

    It will take a while and a bunch of blocks, but noone gets hurt.

  10. #10
    SeaGoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, N.C.
    Posts
    2,214
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    getting the ski off wont be a problem, I meant the ski slipping off while taking it out of the water.

    Just run some tie straps from the tie downs on the back of the ski up the cargo tie downs in the front of the bed. No problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Just picked up a Sea-Doo in FL.
    By TundraLu in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 09:33 PM
  2. Anyone work on sea doos in mass
    By massguy in forum Northeast
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 12:15 AM
  3. For Sale: 1969 Sea doo in CT
    By Joe Stang in forum Sea Doo 2 Stroke Skis
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 08:58 PM
  4. Stolen Sea-doo In Dfw
    By JOE96XP in forum Southwest
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
  5. 951cc sea-doo in a X-4 hull
    By rapidacceleration in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 05:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •