Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Need Diagnostic Help -- 2005 RXP

Hey guys, my ski is acting up..doing something I haven't experienced before. It's a strange popping noise and it seems to only occur between 4000-5400 RPMs. I am also randomly down to 7300 RPMs instead of 7900-8100. It feels weak. I am wondering if this is a misfire? I am going to check the coils for cracks and swap the spark plugs. I just don't understand what it could be that it only happens in that RPM range specifically & possibly cause a loss of 6-700 RPMs. Also, my exhaust manifold bell is melting a bit and I don't understand why considering I have a RRFPR set 2# higher than most people to ensure it's not running lean (no LM-1 to test it with right now)...I'm wondering if the apparent lean condition has anything to do with the popping noise. I guess I'll have to do a compression check too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    Hey guys, my ski is acting up..doing something I haven't experienced before. It's a strange popping noise and it seems to only occur between 4000-5400 RPMs. I am also randomly down to 7300 RPMs instead of 7900-8100. It feels weak. I am wondering if this is a misfire? I am going to check the coils for cracks and swap the spark plugs. I just don't understand what it could be that it only happens in that RPM range specifically & possibly cause a loss of 6-700 RPMs. Also, my exhaust manifold bell is melting a bit and I don't understand why considering I have a RRFPR set 2# higher than most people to ensure it's not running lean (no LM-1 to test it with right now)...I'm wondering if the apparent lean condition has anything to do with the popping noise. I guess I'll have to do a compression check too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Bad injector?? Weak coil???

+1
    That was actually my first thought. I am going to check that too.

+1
    Maybe some bad gas?

+1
    It happened near the end of the last tank of fuel yesterday and kept on going thru a new tank from a different station today. Both 93 octane and at stations that have substantial traffic...

I forgot to mention that I pulled the charger to reset the slip moment. It wasn't bad, but I increased it. No change. I have a Rude 1, 42s, RRFPR, XS IC, 4" front air intake and get out-run by a bone stock RXP now. Last week this boat was pulling upper 70s and cracked 80 once.

+1
    I'd like to ride with you sometime, but I have no thoughts beyond the obvious - whats already been stated.

It happened near the end of the last tank of fuel yesterday and kept on going thru a new tank from a different station today. Both 93 octane and at stations that have substantial traffic...

I forgot to mention that I pulled the charger to reset the slip moment. It wasn't bad, but I increased it. No change. I have a Rude 1, 42s, RRFPR, XS IC, 4" front air intake and get out-run by a bone stock RXP now. Last week this boat was pulling upper 70s and cracked 80 once.

+1
    I only saw 1 RXP-X at the AWA ride this weekend and it was silver/blacked out .. where were you?!

+1
    I only saw 1 RXP-X at the AWA ride this weekend and it was silver/blacked out .. where were you?!
    I was going to PM you to let you know we weren't going to make it.

It was too cold and the threat of rain was just too much of a deterrent.

Let me know if you ever head south of Kingston.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    ... I guess I'll have to do a compression check...
    James, that is the next thing I would do. I hope they all check good, and you find it to be an ignition/coil problem... but I have an apprehensive feeling about #3.

Sounds like ignition coil or plug problem to me.

Check connectors to the coils & the little red silicone seal is in place too!, clean the coil and the tip, pull the plugs out and check the insulator/s are clean, and not cracked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information