Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Bad cavitation issue. Any ideas?

I bought a modded RXP about 5 weeks ago and took it out for the first time saturday. It cavitates to the point where it feels like a car with a BAD slipping clutch. You get on it a little bit and it wants to jump straight on the limiter and just stay there and the ski is hardly going anywhere. I have a stock rxp-x that will run circles around this thing.

I know the wear ring (i think it has a stainless one) and the carbon seal can cause this. As bad as its doing it im just wondering if its something else doing it or a combination of things. I believe it has a riva grate. I've done some searches and everything leads to the carbon seal and wear ring. I'm just not sure how bad it will cause the issue.

If you have any ideas I would realy appreciate it. I was only able to ride it for 10 minutes and knew something was wrong, plus the sun was going down.

+1
    Not sure if it makes a difference but its an 05' and has a rotax 8400 ecm

+1
    First thing to replace is the carbon seal and accordion boot. That should help alot ... next thing is to look at clearance between wear ring and impeller and the impeller pitch itself, which depends a lot on mods to the ski.

+1
    thanks. When I get some time I'm going to have to pull it all apart and see whats going on. I worked like crazy all this past week so I could go out saturday which turned into working on it all day after an issue I had when I put it in the water first thing that morning. Whole lot of work for a 10 minute ride.

+1
    you can temporarily loosen the rearward clamp on the accordion boot, slide it forward a 1/4 inch, or as far as you can, and then retighten it. to put more pressure on the carbon seal.
    make sure the boot still has a good grip/seal on the hull. if this solves your problem, order the parts to replace the boot and seal.
    you can ride it like this for a few weekends, no harm done, while you wait for parts.

+1
    thanks I may try that if I dont pull it all apart this weekend if I have the time. Anybody else have any ideas?

I'm with LEXTOY on this. This has cured many a leak from/to the carbon seal.

Actually it is surprising how much it does affect cavitation.

Next is the wear ring. Be sure that the impeller is the correct one too, and it has not suffered any damage before rushing out to spend.

Warning

Warning, Warning Make sure your bolt on your impeller is not loose and has not driven your drive shaft forward, This condition will destroy your engine journals and thrust bearing, If anybody says it can't happen they don't know, because it happened to me, If anybody messed with the impeller and didn't properly torque this bolt with loctite, you can loose an engine in about 3 mins of WOT, do not run this craft anymore and make sure this bolt is not unthreading and is torque properly!!!!

This condition will open up your carbon seal and make the craft cavitate with small vacuum in the tunnel, once your linear slop on the drive shaft runs out of room it begins to push on the thrust bearing in the engine.

Better to be safe than Very, Very sorry!

Guys, I would check the wear ring first then if good go for the carbon seal. Wear rings are a wear item so you expect to have to replace them first.

+1
    Was there any water in the hull? If so I would suspect the carbon ring. If not it could be the pump seal it could also be worn prop edges with the stainless wear ring even more so if it doesn't have a front solid motor mount.

You will have to pull the pump to find the problem or to fix any of these problems. Try pushing the accordion boot foward like was suggested and if the problem gets better you know you have to replace the carbon seal. Pull the pump and check the pump seal to see if it was pinched or dammaged then check the clearance on the prop edges. Check to see if there is any play in the pump bearings and make sure the prop is tight.

All of these things will cause cavitation. Also check to see if the prop nose cone is still in place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information