Need Help Steering Stuck

This past weekend we were out on our 97 Challenger. After a great weekend we ended it with a sucked in tow rope and no steering. I took care of the tow rope. Good thing for the weedless grate that allows access to the prop. What a mess i had about 3 feet of rope wrapped in there. I still have no steering. I noticed that the silver tube/cable casing that is hooked up to the nozzle for steering is slightly bent. Don't really know how that happened. I think when the rope got sucked in it was positioned to where it pulled against that tube and bent it.

According to the parts diagram it is the Distributing Cable Assy part #6 in the Steering and Steering Assembly diagram/
    I don't think that the whole casing is affected but just the 1 foot section that extends from the hull to the nozzle.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=19&B=26

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching this out but It appears I am the only one with this problem.

Thanks in Advance
    God Bless
    Gus

+1
    if you kinked the steering cable, its probably ruined, maybe maybe you can unkink it, but i doubt it.
    get the cable to extend all teh way out to expose the kinked area... use fore on the steering wheel and turning the nozzle to get more force.
    if it pops out, then look at it is it kinked???
    take apicture, if not badly kinked you might be able to unbend it and it will smoothly go in and out again.
    i'm not sure how a rope in the intake could bend the steering???

I'll check for that kink in the cable. I'm not sure how it happened either, but it happened at the same time, I'm guessing that somehow the rope was positioned in close proximity to that tube, and the force of the rope being sucked into the intake was enough to bend it. I hope this is an easy fix. Can't seem to find that replacement casing anywhere, It seems that it only comes in one long piece as a DIRECTION CABLE ASSY. has anyone ever replaced this on their seadoo.

Thanks
    Gus

+1
    post a pic, i am unfamiliar with the jetboats...

Updated Pictures

Here is what I am talking about. This tube comes out of the starboard side of the stern. I believe their is a cable in there. I can not move the steering wheel left to right it is completely stuck. There is a bend in the tube, I tried to straighten it with a mallet but no luck. Has anybody experienced this before. I am having trouble finding a replacement piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keys 06142009 004.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	138721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keys 06142009 005.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	138722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keys 06142009 007.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	138723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keys 06142009 009.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	138724  

+1
    wow, i am baffled how you did that?? but that is definitely your problem, you NEED to bend it back, unfortunatley that may just be an outer cover, and the cable rod inside is bent too.
    any reputable boat or jetski shop is going to recomend replacing that, cuz if you bend it back it will be weakened, and probably still not slide properly. if it breaks from being weak, you will lose all steering.
    time to replace my friend.

+1
    if you unhook the steering cable from the nozzle, you will be able to determine if this is just a loose outer shield, or actually part of the sheath of the steering cable.
    my guess is it is loose outer shield.
    it is crimped to the real sheath back towards the thru hull fitting.
    possibly you can uncrimp the shield and pull it off. or use a pipe cutter and actually cut it off. this may allow the actual steering rod to move freely again, but i bet the rod itself is kinked and unwise to just leave it like that.
    IF that piece in your picture IS the rod, then you are SOL, and need to replace.
    but it looks like its just a protective outer shield, undo the steering from the nozzle and remove that shield, on your pic it looks like it might even be held on by rubber shrink tubing??

I disconnected the rod from the nozzle. Does not seem to be a shield. It looks solid at the end that connects to the Nozzle. There is a rubber shrink tubing sealing the entrance into the hull. I have not checked the inside of the engine compartment yet. I cannot find this part anywhere I have checked a bunch of online stores and have called the local ski shops. No luck. I need Help this is such a dumb problem and I still don't understand how this happened but I definitely learned my lesson about tow ropes. That won't happen again. Remember don't ask your Passenger, Is the rope underneath the boat? Check for yourself.
    If anyone knows someone parting out a Seadoo challenger please let me know.
    I will post pictures of the end of the rod soon.
    Thanks

Thread Information