Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Fuel pump issue need input

Hey Guys I took my latest project out on the water for the first time today. I am have some fuel pump issues I believe. It's a 94 sl650 It runs great for about 15-20 minutes, then it will only idol. If you try to go faster it just dies. Its not getting fuel. The weird part is if I drain the fuel pump of gas it draws fuel again really well but then it just stops after about 20 minutes of riding. Idol is good but if you go full throttle for any length of time it just dies on me. Again it will start right back up but only idol. I put the triple fuel pump in it and rebuilt the pump as well. Any tips or thoughts? Thanks Mike

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    When it gives trouble, unscrew the gas cap for a few seconds to relieve vacuum, then tighten it back up. If that fixes the problem, the one-way fuel tank venting valves are stuck closed.

Check the parts diagrams for the valve location.

I think the 1995 models had an upgraded tank venting system, with two valves instead of one. Compare the 1994 and 1995 parts diagrams for the fuel tank.

All the 1995 vent parts (both valves and the hose tee)are still available new, and not expensive. I listed the part numbers recently in another thread.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Have you checked the water seperator?

+1
    Thanks, I am going to order the new valves just to be safe anyways. I noticed there was no pressure in the fuel tank when I opened the gas cap, usually I can hear it on my other ski's, but this one I didn't . X, I have a water-fuel separator, not a lot going on in there. What would be an issue with it? Thanks Mike

Being I helped work on the ski, let me add a little more information. The entire fuel system from the tank to carburetors have been replaced. This includes new fuel lines, rebuilt triple outlet pump, etc. The restrictor is installed. The tank and pickup are clean as well as the fuel water separator. The pulse line is new and we double checked the clamps to make sure there was no leakage. There are no pinched fuel hoses or anything like that. The problem is not related to a venting issue with the tank. You can remove the gas cap and it does not resolve the problem.

As Mike mentioned, the ski runs fantastic for about 20 minutes before it starts to bog. At that point, if you observe the fuel lines, very little if any gas will be seen pumping. The only thing that temporarily resolves the problem is to remove and reinstall the fuel pump. I know that seems weird, but it's a fact. We dismantled the pump and could not find anything wrong with the rebuild or the parts used for the rebuild. This is not our first pump rebuild so we're very sure it was put back together correctly. In spite of that, we are going to rebuild the pump again as soon as we get a new rebuild kit.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Gary

Make sure your in line fuel filters are not clogged also. This was one of my issues.

+1
    The lows on the carbs are set to factory and the highs are an 1\8 rich ' what's odd is at first the pump works great then it just stops punping after a high speed run and will only idol from there. Thanks for any help. Mike

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Have you checked the water seperator?
    Was wondering if the filter inside the water sperator was clogged if you have the better 1 of the 2.

+1
    I don't have any filter in my separator, there's actually nothing in there at all just an open cup. I took apart the fuel pump and replaced the rubber seats again and it seems to work better but it still bogs down going around a sharp turn and i'm still not getting top speed out of it, you can feel the gas kicking on and off at high rpm almost like its pulsing a little.

+1
    Is the fuel tank venting?? As mentioned above.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information