Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

brand new 1996 seadoo xp! advice?!

Hi all, I have just purchased a 1996 XP built by a 15 year seadoo tech for himself. He got into a shifter kart wreck and sold it to me. The engine is a 787 which he just rebuilt with brand new bottom end, pistons, rods, cases, balanced and blueprinted. The pump was also balanced and blueprinted. Every single part in this thing came off the dealer shelf except for the mpem and the fuel tank (which is a 10 or 14 gal). It is totally stock except for the head which is high compression (pump gas) ,exit nozzle, intake grate, and sponsons. I was interested in doing any other mods that will bring on more power without a hand-off to reliablilty. I think I should go with a factory spec 2 pipe but can't find one, and maybe some air filters, but i am afraid of water ingestion. I am totally open to suggestions and advice and it would be greatly appreciated. Please excuse any inaccuracies in my technical description of the ski, i am in no way savvy with 2 strokes and my 2 previous skis were di's always dealer maintained and un-modded so this will be my first experience with mods. By the way right now it is running pre-mix yamalube, but as soon as it runs low on fuel, i am going to amsoil interceptor. Thanks again

Im sure youll get mixed responses on this but I am NOT a fan of modifying two-strokes. You will almost always sacrifice reliability.
    Besides, that ski is not about speed anyhow, its about wave jumping, whipping around, and having fun. Trying to make it faster or building it is a waste of time IMO. You wont be able to keep up with newer skis no matter what you do to it.
    Keep it stock and enjoy it. Make sure the fuel lines have been replaced and your fuel system is clean and it will run a long time. Its a great little ski.
    Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    Im sure youll get mixed responses on this but I am NOT a fan of modifying two-strokes. You will almost always sacrifice reliability.
    Besides, that ski is not about speed anyhow, its about wave jumping, whipping around, and having fun. Trying to make it faster or building it is a waste of time IMO. You wont be able to keep up with newer skis no matter what you do to it.
    Keep it stock and enjoy it. Make sure the fuel lines have been replaced and your fuel system is clean and it will run a long time. Its a great little ski.
    Just my .02
    i agree 100 percent!!! once you start with modding the 2 strokes past what is done to it now you are going to spend more time wrenching then riding......having worked at a seadoo dealer for 5 years I have seen it all. have fun with that ski for what it was built for...all the things twelves said.....and if you want to modify a go fast boat there are plenty of people selling RXPs for decent prices......just my .03 cents

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    +3 I have tried modding my XPand that lasted for about 2 seconds and now I figured that a 951 in my Xp was a good idea...not so much. this ski has only seen water for about 3 hours in the last 2 years Keep her stock and enjoy it!

thanks for the responses guys, how about the oil? also would water injection even be a nono?

i will always recommend seadoo xps 2 stroke synthetic....other then that i would leave her alone and go have a ton of fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffTurbo601 View Post
    i will always recommend seadoo xps 2 stroke synthetic....other then that i would leave her alone and go have a ton of fun!!

forgive my repetition, but I just have so many questions... it does have a brand new OE impeller... is there a better one?

Wow I can't believe the responses in this thread. Yes, modding anything beyond OEM specs will probably shorten engine life span. That includes all the new skis as well. IMHO a new 4 stroke that is modded with forced induction won't last near as long as a mildly modded 2 stroke.

It's all about what you want and what your willing to do. If you enjoy turning a wrench and tuning then modding will be very rewarding for you. If you don't then I would leave the ski stock.

If you want to add a little pep and not sacrifice reliability a lot then I would add a set of ProK filters and re-jet the carb. Leave the spec2 pipe alone, if your not right on with your tuning you will be replacing parts quick like.

Which sponsons and nozzle set do you have on the ski right now?

Quote Originally Posted by DooMeister View Post

Which sponsons and nozzle set do you have on the ski right now?
    Ill post pics of her tonight...

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Don't listen to these dudes! They can't tune! That's why their stuff blows up! 800 modded engines are the most relaible modified engine...period.

I can guarantee my Rossier piped setup will last well over 400 hours. It's about getting the right combination. Granted, the Spec II does make more HP, but it also is on the ragged edge. You have to be an experienced tuner to dial in a SpecII setup to make it reliable. And expect to do a preventative rebuild every 100 hours with it too.

Post us up pics!

Fly flame arrestors for sure. Ask your previous owner what the squish is, and compression.

Welcome to GH!

Robert

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information