Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Still crazy after all these beers Mac Daddy Racing's Avatar

Help with home computer network

I work with industrial automation (PLC's and PC's) but I am new to the ethernet networks. I have a desk top unit at home with DSL (stop it) and I would like to create a network at home to get the TV, X-box, Desktop and future laptop hooked up. The only item that would be wire-less is the laptop. What do I need to get started? Router? cables? ethernet switch/hub???

Any tech savy network guys/gals on here today??? I know someone has done this and may have been as unknowledgable as I am now.

Thanks,, MAC

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy Racing View Post
    I work with industrial automation (PLC's and PC's) but I am new to the ethernet networks. I have a desk top unit at home with DSL (stop it) and I would like to create a network at home to get the TV, X-box, Desktop and future laptop hooked up. The only item that would be wire-less is the laptop. What do I need to get started? Router? cables? ethernet switch/hub???

Any tech savy network guys/gals on here today??? I know someone has done this and may have been as unknowledgable as I am now.

Thanks,, MAC
    If you go to BB to get a wireless router, it will have an input to plug in your DSL modem, and then 4 or 5 ports to plug in your other stuff. That will cover all of your equipment. Beyond that you want ethernet cables to hook up the non-wireless stuff. I wouldn't suggest buying them at BB, they'll rip you off. Home Depot/Lowes are usually cheaper, but if you've got time to waste, ordering them online from somewhere like monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10208 is a good way to go. They'll be 90% cheaper than BB and better quality. You can pick your color and length, order, and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy Racing View Post

Thanks,, MAC
    what the h*ll did you just say?

There is no VooDoo like BadVooDoo NeVerMind's Avatar
    Here is what you are going to need...

If you are able to run Cat 5 in your house. you can pick up bulk cable, connectors and crimp tool pretty cheap.. I'd add to that list a few wall plates and you will have a pretty nice looking hard wired network.

If not you will need to get wireless devices for your PC, XBox and Converter box.. They can get pricey, so I recommend wired networks if possible.

In either cases, you will need a wireless Router.. Don't scrimp here.. the better the router, the fewer issues you will have with it down the road.. I lean towards b/g/n routers, that way, you have most protocols covered.

Take a look at the pic to see my ideal layout. PM me if you have questions.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Network.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	137219  

get a DLINK DIR-655 Wireless Router... most reliable router i have found to date, and EASY to setup.. i have not found a negative review on this one yet... i use it as well as many of my friends who i have recommended it to and non have had any issue with it

Thanks to all that replied or PM'd. It seems much easier than I thought (easier than serial networks (RS422-485) and multiplexer switch housings, old school). I'll look online for the parts, cables I can make (we are making them at work and I can use the tool for home use). I can also add the wires to the walls as the lower level has a suspended ceiling (easy removal).

This place is awesome!!! Find info on Ski's and networks. Who Knew!!

Moderated
    dlink sux, go linksys if you really must buy cheap stuff.

personally I would just buy a Cisco 877w , set it up once and never bother with it again but then again I do things properly when it comes to networking but Cisco is not for non tech folk

Work is sending a bunch of us Automation guys back to school to get Cisco and Windows Certified. Resume add on....

Keep in mind that even with encryption enabled, a wireless network can be compromised.

Yeah, I've heard that is an issue. Any way to block all but the selected I.P. Addresses for desired equipment??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information