2004 Polaris Virage will start now but need module

Just got back my 2004 Polaris Virage from a local Marine shop. They were able to get the Polaris to run by replacing the selinoid, but the MFI display is still dead. He stated I could start it by just hitting the start button and turning it off by pulling the lanyard. He stated I needed the small black module in the electrical compartment that sends the signal to the MFI, but he had no idea where to get this part. I'm glad it's useable but it would be nice to have the display. I'm relatively new to this forum so could someone advise me where I might find this part ( don't see a number on it). Recommendations? All help is much appreciated. I can take a photo of it later and post it if that would help, but I was pretty sure you guys know which one I'm talking about.

Thanks!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The LR voltage regulator module that controls engine start/stop function has nothing to do with the MFI display.

Did the shop simply remove the LR module from the electrical box?
    What did they change in the wiring?

No according to the tech he stated he just replaced the selinoid which would allow it to start, but the LR module needed to be replaced to fix the MFI. He didn't pull the module just stated I needed a new one to repair the MFI. He didn't seem very confident though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyb View Post
    No according to the tech he stated he just replaced the solenoid which would allow it to start, but the LR module needed to be replaced to fix the MFI.

He didn't pull the module just stated I needed a new one to repair the MFI. He didn't seem very confident though.
    Well then, lets do some diagnostics

This is a carburetor two cylinder 2004 Virage - correct?

Will the stop lanyard stop the engine?

Will the Stop button stop the engine (with the lanyard staying in place)?

I'm not close to the Virage at the moment, but I called the tech back and he stated he bypassed the LR Module to get it to start manually without the use of the codes. I'll check on your questions shortly and thanks!

+1
    I'm not close to the Virage at the moment, but I called the tech back and he stated he bypassed the LR Module to get it to start manually without the use of the codes. I'll check on your questions shortly and thanks!
    That could be a key piece of information.

If the MFI is 'Locked', it will prevent the engine from cranking.

If you do not know the MFI security code, then the security code can be reset.

We need to find out exactly what was done to the wiring. If the tech cannot tell you, then we can figure it out by looking at the wiring inside the electrical box.

I guess I explained it wrong. The display is dead and doesn't "wake up"when hitting the start key or pad key. This was the original problem that I took it to the marine shop for since it's not useable at that point. He bypassed the LMR module (will find out how when he calls) to allow it to run by hitting the start button and stop by pulling the lanyard. So now it runs, but the display is still dead. That's where he came back and said I needed to replace the LMR to correct the display problem, but at least he has it running for me. He had no idea where to find this part. You're stating the LMR module has nothing to do with the display so I'm back to square one on that. If he bypassed the LMR to allow it to start via the start key only doesn't this still need to be replaced? It sounds like thougjh that this may fix one problem, but has nothing to do with the display.

+1
    I guess I explained it wrong. The display is dead and doesn't "wake up"when hitting the start key or pad key. This was the original problem that I took it to the marine shop for since it's not usable at that point.

He bypassed the LMR module (will find out how when he calls) to allow it to run by hitting the start button and stop by pulling the lanyard. So now it runs, but the display is still dead.

That's where he came back and said I needed to replace the LMR to correct the display problem, but at least he has it running for me. He had no idea where to find this part.

You're stating the LMR module has nothing to do with the display so I'm back to square one on that.

If he bypassed the LMR to allow it to start via the start key only doesn't this still need to be replaced? It sounds like though that this may fix one problem, but has nothing to do with the display.
    The MFI display has nothing to do with running the engine, except for one aspect - the MFI has a 'security' feature that allows it to lock out the start button.

There is a single wire in the PWC that connects between the MFI and the electrical box. If this wire is by-passed, the engine will start and run, regardless of whether the MFI is present or working.

There are several modules inside or near the electrical box;
    - CDI module, which controls the ignition system
    - Ignition coils, which drive the spark plugs from the CDI
    - LR voltage regulator module, which also does some other things.

Since your engine runs, the CDI and ignition coils must be working, so I won't talk about them.

The LR module is the thing that connects to the security wire from the MFI display. The LR module then allows the engine Start and Stop buttons to work.

The MFI security wire is Purple/White (purple wire with white stripe). If the tech can tell you what wires he changed to allow the engine to start, I can tell you whether the LR module is still properly connected.

I know this is going to sound very basic, but did someone confirm that the fuse for the MFI display was actually good?

You can check for power and ground at the MFI connector using a multi-meter.
    Ground is the Black wire, and power is the Red/Purple wire.

Thread Information