Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,132
    +1
    205

    hairline crack on fzr?

    I noticed right above (and some on the sides) of the stern hooks on my fzr on both sides there seem to be hairline cracks I am not 100% sure and they were very hard to get a picture of, there about 5 around each hook, if you scratch your fingernail across it you can feel it a little. No damage on the inside from what I could see. The paint it fine but the gel coat is a has a "ridge" on it around the cracks. Anyone else have this issue on fzr or with any nano-x-cell hull? suggestions? thanks, much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hairline1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	137217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hairline2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	137218  


  2. #2
    Hydrotoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    16,712
    +1
    85
    Could this be related to the tie-down area? Do you have a picture farther back showing where the cracks are?

    Do you use ratchet-style tie downs? Lots of folks over-tighten the ratchets to the point that the hulls crack. The "right above stern hooks" comment is what made me think of it.

  3. #3
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,132
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Could this be related to the tie-down area? Do you have a picture farther back showing where the cracks are?

    Do you use ratchet-style tie downs? Lots of folks over-tighten the ratchets to the point that the hulls crack. The "right above stern hooks" comment is what made me think of it.
    i do not have any farther back pix but yes, its the tie down area. I do have ratchet tie downs, I do not think I over tighten them, but possibly. No cracks on my 2007 FX HO .... guess Ill keep a real close eye on it.

  4. #4
    Hydrotoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    16,712
    +1
    85
    It might be wise to swap this hull over to the pull-tight style, and let her bounce a little instead.

  5. #5
    SHOBiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wylie, Texas
    Posts
    3,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    It might be wise to swap this hull over to the pull-tight style, and let her bounce a little instead.

    +1.
    I often ended up breaking something no matter what it is when using the ratchet ties.

  6. #6
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,132
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    It might be wise to swap this hull over to the pull-tight style, and let her bounce a little instead.
    thx

  7. #7
    sleaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ortley-Full timer
    Posts
    83
    Now, I am paranoid about my ski...I use the ratchet type as well....first I am hearing of this. I will ditch the straps though.

  8. #8
    i always break the pull tight friction straps, so im sticking with the ratchet style. i also have those hairline gelcoat cracks on the FZS after the first week of ownership although it hasnt gotten any worse. I try to just snug up the ties and not overdue it. On my FX ski, ive been using them for years without any problems and i crank on them way tight. I would think a good bump on loose straps would put more preasure on the hooks then with tighter straps

  9. #9
    SHO_time's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    170
    Never used straps, even while on long trips with both SHO's on the trailer. There both so heavy that those pigs arent going any where. Id figure with full gas and oil as well as the water in the waterbox there about 1025lb a piece or so. Just dont drive like an asshole and you'll be fine!

  10. #10
    lets race.... mikeFZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,132
    +1
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by camaudio View Post
    i always break the pull tight friction straps, so im sticking with the ratchet style. i also have those hairline gelcoat cracks on the FZS after the first week of ownership although it hasnt gotten any worse. I try to just snug up the ties and not overdue it. On my FX ski, ive been using them for years without any problems and i crank on them way tight. I would think a good bump on loose straps would put more preasure on the hooks then with tighter straps
    we both have the same situation, gel coat cracks on fzr/s after a week and none on fx! haha I hope it doesnt get worse, doubt it will considering it didnt with you, I'll just losen em' up a bit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tunnel cracking on SHO/FZR/FZS Now is the Time to Fix it!
    By 2fast4u in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 05:04 AM
  2. Tubing cracking on RXP canopy... anyone else?
    By caliburst in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-20-2008, 11:28 AM
  3. Hairline Cracks
    By Rspeed in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 06:54 AM
  4. Pump Tunnel Crack on XL1200
    By need4pwr in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 09:51 PM
  5. Hairline Cracks Around My Floor/Cup Holder 06 Sportster
    By holdnon72 in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 06:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •