Angry Motor failed! (the one inside my head)

Just finished triple outlet pump install and carb rebuild on my 95 sl750. I eagerly started the engine on the trailer, hooked up the water hose, let it run and then killed it. About 25 seconds later I realized I hadn't turned the water off! Water got into the PTO cylinder only, but while trying to clear it out, I noticed liquid seeping from one of the head bolts. As I am clearing out the water, it's not seeping but is the head gasket leaking? I don't want to make another bonehead move and end up with a blown piston or worse. Aaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stuby View Post
    Just finished triple outlet pump install and carb rebuild on my 95 sl750. I eagerly started the engine on the trailer, hooked up the water hose, let it run and then killed it. About 25 seconds later I realized I hadn't turned the water off! Water got into the PTO cylinder only, but while trying to clear it out, I noticed liquid seeping from one of the head bolts. As I am clearing out the water, it's not seeping but is the head gasket leaking? I don't want to make another bonehead move and end up with a blown piston or worse. Aaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pull the spark plugs, start motor (it wont start, but will push the water through the spark holes) and figure out if the water is within the cylinder, or if the head gasket is leaking. If it is leaking, you definitely have to replace it!! Another thing that I would do, is after getting the water out of the cyls, FOG THAT ENGINE!! This will help prevent any water inside the cyl or crankcase from rusting important parts.

Did you just rebuild this motor?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    If your getting any water out under a head bolt,the head gasket would be leaking. I always spray my 750 head gaskets with Permatex Copper spray.Did you torque the head in proper seq? You should be able to pull the head,spray it with The permatex and reuse it.Worth a try anyways.

No, I didn't rebuild the engine, just the carbs and installed the fuel pump. Do you think the water caused the head gasket to leak? I'm guessing a compression check would show low pressure in the cylinder. I guess I'll try to spray the permatex on and hope for the best.

+1
    Did you crank the engine with the spark plug in it? if you did you may have blow it with pressure.Also,by cranking with water,you could throw the index of the crank off.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    After you get most of the water out, you need to get it running asap to warm the engine to get rid of the moisture that still remains inside the engine. Then fog the crap out of it!

Well, I checked compression and front two cylinders were identical @ 122 lbs. PTO was 40 So I pulled the head and at first I thought a ring had come off, but it looks like the inner part of the head gasket is partially detached. I'm still unsure if this would cause the low compression as the rest of the gasket seems intact. I'll try to attach pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010017.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	701.9 KB 
ID:	137232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010018.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	693.6 KB 
ID:	137233  

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm not sure of the cause of the low compression. I'd hate to put it back together with new gasket and have the same problem.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    The blown head gasket can cause your compression loss.

+1
    The head gasket is junk,that's why it had low compression.What causes them to go like that? I think just over time with the heat and expansion of parts it causes it(also over torquing the head). Clean it up,Throw a new gasket on it and run it.Should be fine.

Thread Information